'surrounded by knowledge' - essay for the gates millennium

kbros9193 3 / 6  
Other than through classes in school, in what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?

We are constantly surrounded by knowledge. Everyday situations serve as an opportunity for us to learn something new. Knowledge is present both in and out of the classroom. As an active member in my community, I am constantly surrounded by opportunity to experience knowledge as well as learning. Volunteering in my community has offered me the opportunity to learn from those who I interact with.

Community service is an opportunity for me to learn from the world, while offering myself to it. As a volunteer at Rex Hospital I have the opportunity to meet and talk to many different and unique people. My experience with each different individual that I have met has yielded a lesson from which I can learn and develop. Each lesson that I have taken away as a volunteer at Rex Hospital has been instrumental in my development as a young man. My experiences at Rex Hospital have taught me the values of patients, perseverance and determination. The example of patients who smile in the face of terminal illness and persevere through painful therapy has taught me that I can overcome any obstacle that I face. Determination and perseverance are the essential tools that I need to overcome any struggle and obstacle that I may face. These lessons that I have learned as a volunteer will help me continue to develop as a young man, while giving me the tools to become a good man.
We are constantly surrounded by knowledge. Everyday situations serve as an opportunity for us to learn something new. Knowledge is present both in and out of the classroom. As an active member in my community, I am constantly surrounded by opportunity to experience knowledge as well as learning.

This part, above, weakens the essay because it does not really say anything important. Maybe you should start with one interesting, reflective sentence that will capture the reader's attention.

Volunteering in my community has provided me with the opportunity to learn from almost everyone I meet .

or:

Volunteering in my community has enabled me to learn from those with whom I interact.

At the end:

These lessons from volunteering helped me to develop as a young man while giving me the tools to become a good man.
darolynm1 - / 1  
Trouble starting a Gates essay ('areas I have aquired knowledge or skills')

I want to write about my work but Im having a tough time starting. Help?
esin 2 / 7  
Start explaining how you got the job. Then go into what you learnt from it. How long is it supposed to be?
XueAmir 6 / 25  
How long is it supposed to be?

7600 charcs max

Home / Undergraduate / 'surrounded by knowledge' - essay for the gates millennium