Why Swarthmore: "I want to get lost in the wonderful multitude of a liberal arts education

iloveyogurt 9 / 17 5  
This one is a long one, so I really appreciate your feed back. I will critique back :) Any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Please write about why you are interested in applying to and attending Swarthmore. (500 limit, currently 481)
On a fine march morning in 2013, I visited Swarthmore College. Sitting absent-mindedly, I caught the admission representative describing the sense of "super - intellectualism" at Swarthmore. I subsequently wrote down on my notebook page "super - intellectualism," with "super" underlined and bolded. This love-at-first-sight has not failed me, for I have since discovered the multitude of this institution, of Swatties, and of a Swarthmore spirit.

Swarthmore is in the Crum woods and the Scott Arboretum. In these spaces students have gatherings, classes or outdoor running sessions, and these programs represent Swarthmore's commitment to conserve and preserve. An outdoor athlete and environmentalist myself, I always strive to look for inspirations in Nature. By getting involved in the Sustainability Committee and other student groups, I will work to preserve Nature. While every year Swatties light up candles in a campus tradition, my contribution to environmental issues is how I ensure that my love for the land stays illuminated.

Swarthmore is in the Intercultural Center(IC). Recognized as one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges, Swarthmore's dedicated to democratic ideals but does not seek after "harmony." While I enjoy small-town quietness, I also fear suburban homogeneity. Swarthmore offers me the bright side of both. I believe IC - sponsored events, such as the IC Speaker Series on Race, Class, Gender and Sexuality, and the IC - affiliated student diversity groups will facilitate good conversations and sometimes necessary confrontations.

Swarthmore is in the Train Station. While enjoying the small classroom size and peaceful suburban surrounding, I know Swarthmore can also lead me to a bigger world. Whether I take classes at University of Pennsylvania or observe buildings in Philadelphia for an architecture class, the train station at Swarthmore, and the institution itself, will connect me to a world of opportunities and adventures.

Last and most importantly, Swarthmore is in the paintings hanging in the Kitao Art Gallery. For me Swarthmore is an equilateral polygon, denoting the discussion-focused classrooms. Through this single shape, individuals at all corners of the shapes contribute to conversations and the collective knowledge. When I enter Swarthmore, I can learn for learning's sake; I will not have to burden myself with grades because I will have a semester of only pass-and-fail classes. Additionally, using the first - year seminar as a bridge, I will formally develop learning skills and have access to a world of knowledge. Swarthmore has robust programs in all of my interested academic subjects, including cognitive science, philosophy, sociology, world literature, gender studies and environmental studies (it's like we are meant for each other). This might sound odd, but I want to get lost; I want to get lost in the wonderful multitude of a Swarthmore education.
ashper 2 / 2 1  
I can see how passionate you are about Swarthmore. The way you articulate shows how interested you are in the school. Your reasons are elaborated on in such an interesting way. I love everything about this. Very, very good.
MBLTheNumbaOne 4 / 8  
I like this essay more than your Rice one, great work with only little minor grammar errors
OP iloveyogurt 9 / 17 5  
Haha, Thank you!

For my rice one, I initially had a funny simile between Chinese cuisine (you know the staple food rice) and Rice University as a focus theme throughout my essay, but I was constrained by the word limit and had to delete it...

Home / Undergraduate / Why Swarthmore: "I want to get lost in the wonderful multitude of a liberal arts education