Swim Team is like a Cult - University of Michigan

gmichski /  
The Prompt is "Everyone belongs to many di"erent communities and/or groups de#ned by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income,

cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it."

Any suggestions are appreciated!

There are those that would liken swimming to a cult. Every morning, almost religiously, my teammates and I walk into a chlorine-fume filled natatorium and monotonously swim thousands of yards back and forth as Coach Eagles barks orders at us. We've all memorized the vernacular for the various sets and exercises (five by four two two or ketchup drill for example). We make jokes in the locker room and play rough games of water polo as a reward for a tough practice. Shaving parties and pasta dinners are common rituals before every meet and I can point at every member of an opposing team and spout off their best times and what strokes they're good at. All swimmers can connect like this.

After many years, I have become leader of these people. With gusto, I scream strange cheers, ranging from the hymn-like "I believe" to the childish "Potato Chip, Potato Chip". I start off practices and take marks for when we practice diving. The team looks up to me just as they do the coach.

As strange as the team sounds, they are my family; they are my best friends and my worst enemies. We laugh and cry, win and lose, try and fail all together. The smell of chlorine on our skin and the 6 AM practices that we have endured has bound us together. I have been able to count on the swim community for laughter and acceptance through all the chaos of life. I could not imagine life without my "cult".
moon05 13 / 133 20  
There are those that would liken swimming to a cult.

You could substitute LIKEN with something else. I didn't get it even after finishing the whole thing. Though I guessed it meant something like this.

Shaving parties and pasta dinners are common rituals before every meet and I can point at every member of an opposing team and spout off their best times and what strokes they're good at. All swimmers can connect like this.

Wanted to hear something more

After many years, I have become leader of these people.

Who are the people? They are your teammates I think so mention that
chewbaccablack 6 / 18 3  
Hey I really like it!

In the beginning, I thought you were a person from an ethnic group that has swimming as their national culture or smth. :P
Nice switch!

Could you read over mine please?
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Freaking awesome.

I'm a swimmer so I can relate to everything that you said. : )

Love it!

Check mine's out?

Home / Undergraduate / Swim Team is like a Cult - University of Michigan