'To switch my major to bioengineering' - Readmission essay for Cornell University

avrhee 1 / 2  
Directions:
-from your POV, describe why the college placed you on your current academic status
-briefly describe any work experience you've had since leaving the college
-outline and academic work since leaving the college
-discuss changes you have made, your accomplishments, and your academic plans (e.g.:major, courses)
-include your intended course schedule for your first semester back, and future semesters ending in degree completion

Reasons for Unsatisfactory Performance/Restricted Leave of Absence:
Transferring from the University of Hawaii to Cornell University was a jolting experience, not only in terms of academics but also the environment. I was not prepared for the amount of studying at Cornell University, and as I procrastinated and got behind in school work, I felt less motivated to try in my classes. My lack of motivation and bad grades ended up with me on academic probation, which eventually led to my depression. Being on academic probation scared me, because I had never done so poorly in school. I attempted to improve my grades the following semester, but my main focus was escaping from school. After my year at Cornell I planned to withdraw, but my mom requested I consider a leave of absence incase I later changed my mind. I believe Cornell decided to give me a restricted leave for two reasons: one, I requested my leave while I was in poor academic standing. And two, I was depressed while I was at Cornell, and the college wanted to make sure I would be okay, if I chose to return.

Solutions and Changes:
During my leave of absence, I went through counseling with Dr. Lehrke to help deal with my depression. I also worked at a tutoring center and a coffee shop in order to learn to become more responsible. Currently, I am in California attending Fullerton College, and am taking courses in english, psychology, and sociology. I am getting A's in all of my courses, and even received the highest grade out of my class of 120 students on my psychology exam. This has renewed my motivation to try hard in school, because I realize I can achieve the grades I want as long as I study hard and stay organized.

When I was young, and before he passed away, my dad set up a bank account to pay for my college expenses, in the hope that I would be able to attend any school I wanted and not have to worry about my finances; this is something I have not truly appreciated until this year. I am disappointed with myself, because I have been wasting these hard-earned funds my dad worked for, and have not been taking my education seriously for the past couple of years. I came to realize this because my cousin, who I am living with, is struggling financially with her college tuition, while I am able to attend any school I want. Given this luxury, I really want to make the most of it and receive an education that would make the most use of my dad's money and make him proud.

After all of this, I think the biggest change I have made is within myself. I am more focused, mature, and responsible. I now realize that I cannot keep running away when I am scared, and I cannot just give up when things gets difficult. I need to learn to face my fears and persevere; I absolutely refuse to make the same mistake twice. I am incredibly determined to finish up my education at Cornell University, and I only hope that I will be given a second chance.

Instead of a biology degree, I would like to switch my major to bioengineering. It follows alongside my dad's career path as a doctor, and also allows my love of biology and design to shine through. It is also challenging enough for me, so I will continue to be intellectually stimulated and not grow bored of the subject.
AU0594 15 / 31  
in case I changed my mind
The beginning of this sentence sounds grammatically awkward, maybe consider revising?:When I was young, and before he passed away, my dad set up a bank account to pay for my college expenses, in the hope that I would be able to attend any school I wanted and not have to worry about my finances; this is something I have not truly appreciated until this year.
OP avrhee 1 / 2  
thanks! i thought that sentence sounded weird :)
OP avrhee 1 / 2  
Transferring from the University of Hawaii to Cornell University was a jolting experience, not only in terms of academics but also environment. Not prepared for the amount of studying required at Cornell University, I procrastinated and got behind in school work. Due to this, I felt less motivated to try in my classes, which led to my academic probation and depression. Being on academic probation scared me, because I had never done so poorly in school. I attempted to improve my grades the following semester, but my main focus was escaping from school. After my year at Cornell I planned to withdraw, but my mom requested I consider a leave of absence incase I later changed my mind. I believe Cornell decided to give me restricted leave due to two reasons: one, I requested my leave while I was in poor academic standing. And two, I was depressed while I was at Cornell, and the college wanted to make sure I would be okay, if I chose to return.

During my leave of absence, I went through counseling with Dr. Lehrke to help deal with my depression. In addition, I worked at a tutoring center and a coffee shop to become more responsible. Currently, I am in California attending Fullerton College, taking courses in English, psychology, and sociology. I am getting A's in all of my courses, and even received the highest grade out of my class of 120 students on my psychology exam. This has renewed my motivation to try hard in school, because I realize I can achieve the grades I want as long as I study hard and stay organized. Living in California also helped me become more independent and realize I can do fine when away from home.

Before my dad passed away, he was able to set up an account to pay for my college expenses, in the hope that I would be able to attend any school I wanted and not have to worry about my finances; this is something I have not truly appreciated until this year. I am disappointed with myself, because I have been wasting these hard-earned funds my dad worked for, and have not been taking my education seriously for the past couple of years. I came to realize this because my cousin, who I am living with in California, is struggling financially with her college tuition, while I am able to attend any school I want. Given this luxury, I really want to make the most of it and receive an education that would make the most use of my dad's money and make him proud.

Through all of this, the biggest change I have made is within myself; I am more focused, mature, and responsible. Now, I realize I cannot keep running away when I am uncomfortable, and I cannot just give up when things gets difficult. Adapting and preserving are important traits I must learn to develop, and I have already started the process of doing so. I am indescribably determined to finish up my education at Cornell University, and I only hope I will be given a second chance.

Revised a bit. If someone can also help me shorten it, it'll be greatly appreciated!

Home / Undergraduate / 'To switch my major to bioengineering' - Readmission essay for Cornell University