"My Talent" For UC PS Prompt #2 (transfer student)

simonma668 2 / 5  
my major is computer science..plz help me to correct my grammer..or anything..
any suggestion is welcomed..
btw, i am a international student.

Usually, a computer worker is stereotyped as a geek who wearing thick glasses and being a mouse potato. However, I am a different computer scientist. Instead of being an otaku, which means a person who prefers staying at home in Japanese, I have been grown up with sports.

When I was still in the elementary school, I started to play basketball because of my father, who had been a professional basketball coach. Different from other students, my basketball skill has been incredibly improved thanks to my father, and I was able to play as a guard when I had the physical quality of center. Due to this early advantage, I had been selected as the school basketball from elementary school to high school in China. On 2004, I led my high school to win the champion in a citywide basketball tournament as a 10th grade student in China.

Besides of basketball, I present my talent on swimming in early age. When I was in 8th grade, I participated in a citywide swimming competition for my middle school, and won the 3rd in the men's 100 meters breaststroke as well as the 5th in 4x100 meter medley relay. In the next year, I took part in the same swimming competition as a 9th grade student, and finally won the 1st in the men's 50 meters breaststroke and 2nd in men's 100 meters breaststroke. After that, I won 2 more 1st prizes and 2 2nd prizes in different citywide swimming competition as a high school student before I came to the United States in 2005.

More than simply programming in front of the computer all day long, I learn how to be persistent to handle all kinds of problems by doing sports. Swimming and playing basketball needs to consume a lot of energy which can make me tired. However, if I give up as soon as I feel tired, I will be the loser, and everything I have done is wasted. So, "enduring the suffering and doing my best until the end" is always in my mind. Similar to doing sports, I, as a student, must face many problems, including programming problems every day. So it is impossible for me to finish a huge program if I give up as soon as encountering obstructions. Thanks to the sports, I am able to overcome all difficulties by my will power.

thank you all!!!
owlcity24 2 / 6  
Usually, a computer worker is stereotyped as a geek who wearings thick glasses and beingis a mouse potato. However, I am a different type of computer scientist. Instead of being an otaku, which means ,in Japanese, a person who prefers to staying at home in Japanese , I have been grown up with sports . I enjoy being outdoors and active

When I was still in the elementary school, I started to play basketball because of my father, who had been a professional basketball coachfor professional basketball . Different from Unlike other students, my basketball skills has been incredibly improved thanks to my father, and I was able to play as a guard whenalthough I had the physical quality of center. Due to this early advantage, I had been selected as the school basketball from elementary school to high school in China. On 2004, I led my high school to win the champion in a citywide basketball tournament as a 10th grade student in China.

I corrected the first two paragraphs, but I'm not sure if you want to keep this topic. I think it is pretty cliche for applicants to talk about how a sport has helped them in life. Also, displaying two sports may show lack of passion in each one individually. This is just my opinion though. I realize that writing in a your second or even third language is probably no walk in the park. Good Luck!
OP simonma668 2 / 5  
Thx for ur reply..

ye..writing in non-first language is much more difficult than u can image even though i attended high school here....

anyway.thx

Home / Undergraduate / "My Talent" For UC PS Prompt #2 (transfer student)