Many of my talents - personal statement for uc applications, prompt 2

SOADer 1 / 1  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

^^^^^^this is the prompt I have to answer. I am very worried about being accepted because I had many "C"s my sophomore year. My junior year i managed to not even get one C; I got all A's and B's. I don't want to be like most of the other students and give false reasons for why I did so poorly in my academics. This is still a work in progress...any comments or tips are highly appreciated. **Admissions counselors really care about individuality and leadership.

Many of my talents are reflected in throughout my junior year. I know that I did terrible my sophomore year and it was not the wisest act I have made; to ignore school and just do well on tests. I started caring more about school when I visited a very prestigious UC. I noticed that I would never be able to apply to any of the UC's with the grade point average I had, and so started working my butt off. I challenged myself, and I enjoyed this; I have always loved challenging myself. When I succeed I always feel like I am much better than I used to be.

I love challenging myself, but most importantly I love to lead. I tutored middle-school students every Saturday for four hours, for about three months. I enjoyed this; I was able to use my knowledge of math and English to help struggling students. I felt like a very important person to them. The responsibility placed on me felt good.

I have always loved math. My ability to easily comprehend math if I set a bit of my mind to it set me apart from everyone else. I am currently taking AP Calculus and AP Physics to try and help me with my future major; civil, or maybe chemical, engineering. Math will help me with either of the majors, and AP Physics will help me with civil engineering. I also took AP Chemistry my junior year and passed the AP test, therefore I believe I have a broad understanding of what's in store for each of the majors.

I enjoy school and how it provides me with challenges every now and then. I don't know how I could've missed out on this academic lifestyle. I feel much smarter, and more prepared for life at a university.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I agree; honesty is best here, and you do a good job dealing with your shortcoming in this essay. It shows forethought and planning, both good characteristics in an essay such as this. Keep up the good work.
OP SOADer 1 / 1  
Thank you so much. :)

Home / Undergraduate / Many of my talents - personal statement for uc applications, prompt 2