"Tao Kae Noi!" they called me; WORLD I CAME FROM ESSAY

tpr2012 2 / 4  
HI everyone, would guys please help with my personal statement pleasee :)

"Tao Kae Noi!" they called me, through the cacophonous sounds of metal clanging.
"Tao Kae Noi! Come over here and help us with this half-broken engine". I sprinted over to the other workers, avoiding the oil pools spilling about the floor. (Tao Kae Noi means Young boss in Thai).

Since I was young, I spent my afterschool and weekends at my parent's business. We import and export trucks: my dad works more on the business side with the hardware, while my mom manages the office and all the paperwork.

Engines were what I literally saw every day. Seeing my father work with them, I was curious about trucks and cars, and how their engines worked. How does such a relatively small component of the entire vehicle, generate so much power? To learn, I began by observing the mechanics. I pestered them with so many questions until I was fixing the customers' cars alongside the seasoned mechanics.

It was a really dirty job, with all the grease oils, dust, dirt and rust. Yet I find the smells of diesel, benzyl and lubricant oils almost pleasing, as they evoke the pleasant memories of tweaking an engine carbonator, or tinkering with the pressure transmitter.

I vividly remember the day my father and I flew to our factory in Japan, where we stored trucks and engines. I met a lot of businessmen on that visit, but one person that left a deep impression on me was Khun Joe (Khun means "Mister" in Thai). He brought us to his factory to see the engines for Isuzu and Hino trucks. I was mesmerized by the number of engines throughout the whole factory. Suddenly, a worker shouted something in Japanese, and the silence gave way to the symphonious humming of engines throughout the whole factory. Fascinated, I asked Khun Joe about how his particular engine worked. He responded casually, but his answer was so intricate that I wasn't able to understand. Returning home, I immediately started googling as much as I could recall of what Joe had said. It was a very long time before I could partially understand the engine's fundamentals that he talked about, but that moment, and meeting him, left a deep impression on me. It showed me how much more there was to learn, and more importantly, it revealed to me my own burning desire to continue learning more, to persevere and become an expert in this field.

I am standing in front of an engine with a wrench in one hand and a greasy cloth in the other. This is the world I come from. Not my familiar birthplace in Thailand, my school and home in China, or Khun Joe's factory of Japan, but simply the world of trucks, vans and cars-anything with an engine. This is the world I come from, and the world that I aspire to expand, one bolt at a time.
pussypussy 2 / 5  
I like how you develop your story. The language flows quite well in your essay. And the story shows how you grew up, what influenced your aspirations, and how you developed your interest. I can hear your voice in it. Nice job ;-)
OP tpr2012 2 / 4  
thanks alott :)) I really appreciate it :)) Still .. do you have any suggestions or is it already okay ?
Seeing my father work with them, I was curious about trucks and cars, and how their engines worked.

My curiosity towards trucks was generated due to the familiar sight of my dad working with them.

I like your essay. You have presented your world well in the essay. It has a nice flow. And it is also well constructed. Well done. :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Tao Kae Noi!" they called me; WORLD I CAME FROM ESSAY