Tastes/ Languages/ Religions; Summer Internship - Diversity; Interests/ Background

nja2497 2 / 4  
Prompt:
At **************, we are committed to increasing the diversity (broadly defined) of students in the ****************. Please describe how your interests and background (in terms of culture, class, race, gender, ethnicity, work, hardships that you've faced or life experiences) would contribute to that diversity.

Essay:
When you ask most people what type of music they like to listen to or what their favorite TV shows are to watch, they usually answer with a specific genre or show. Unlike most people, I like to listen to every type of music and view almost every type of television show; with a quick peek into my music library, you can witness songs ranging from the likes of ********* to The ********* to **********. I have a wide array of tastes and passions, some that deviate from the norm, which I am capable of adding to the already astounding assortment on campus if I am accepted into the program.

Growing up to a ******** mother and a ********* immigrant father, I have become familiar with many unique cultures and traditions. I can speak in three different languages, one almost fluently and I am used to trying new things whether it is in the form of something edible or something intangible. Though I am a (religion), my mother and her family is (different religion), and because of this I appreciate the uniqueness of various religions.

While I currently reside in the **********, I was originally born and raised in the *********. The thought many people believe in, although quite stereotypical, is that ******* and the surrounding area is all just farmland full of wheat. Coming from the ********** and having been raised in both environments; I can alter their views showing them that *********** isn't much different from **********.

Through my travels, I have learnt to appreciate the diversity of people and their different views of the world. I have traveled abroad multiple times to many unique places and observed the differences in customs and lifestyles between there and the United States. A few months ago, I took a three week trip to Panama, a country affluent with history and culture. Although their history has huge interlineations with that of the United States, it is a whole different world with new places to explore and adventures to undertake all with a culture within its own.

Another way I serve to contribute to the variety on campus is through my involvement with different clubs and activities. I'm an avid volunteer who spends most ********* nights aiding in an understaffed local hospital from four to eight. This opportunity to help my community has led me to deal with many people on an information sensitive and personal level, allowing me to develop my relationship and communication skills and gain valuable skills both as a confident leader and as a cooperative team member.

During the fall and spring, I compete in soccer both as a part of my ********** team and as a part of the regional football club. Soccer is something that I admire, particularly, the skill and dedication it requires to fully master all aspects of the time-honored game. I have made many of my current friends through soccer and I understand the time and commitment it takes to be excellent.

I am also a founding member of the Bocce Ball Club at my *********. This club is dedicated to the sport of Bocce, the ancient roman-grecko sport of "ball throwing". The club originated as a way to spend more time with my friends after school but it has since grown to the point where we have 30+ plus members enrolled and more joining every week.

In my lifetime I have been exposed to a wide array of many different cultures and traditions. My experiences have allowed me to be open to cultures of all types; I enjoy getting to know people and better understand their various cultural backgrounds. I believe it is critical to explore and embrace your heritage. In my duration at the ***********************, I hope to connect with various campus communities to continue to help the ********** grow in diversity while introducing myself to fresh new worlds.

Can anyone help me? I feel a if this is just a bunch a disordered paragraphs. There is also a word limit that I am over so if anyone can help me delete excess words and make it more concise that would be much appreciated.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
You're kind of skimming over the surface of "diversity" here. I think a lot of students at the college you're applying to are equally curious, interested in other cultures, and like trying new things. I would recommend picking one thing and really explaining how it shaped what you think is important, what you want to do with your life, or what you're good at so that colleges will know that you aren't just going to spend your four years either in a classroom or in your dorm room.
OP nja2497 2 / 4  
Thanks so much! Yeah I've deleted some of the less interesting paragraphs and decided to put my fccus on one.

Home / Undergraduate / Tastes/ Languages/ Religions; Summer Internship - Diversity; Interests/ Background