Tastes in music, Damien Rice - unniversity of Chicago

calebgodsey 4 / 10  
Share with us a few of your favorite books, poems, authors, films, plays, pieces of music, musicians, performers, paintings, artists, blogs, magazines, or newspapers? Feel free to touch on one, some, or all of the categories listed, or add a category of your own.

Everyone tends to have their own distinct tastes in music. Musical tastes seem to define us: indie, alternative, folk, classical, hardcore, r&b, country, pop, electronica, jazz, blues, hip-hop, new age, rock, reggae and the list goes on. Each genre breaking down into a subgroup which intern breaks down further until yet a new genre is created. Most genres were actually formed from the combination of preexisting genres, each bleeding into one another. Therefore a musical overlap takes place-no one genre existing without the influence of another. Though all music is understood as related to each of its genres, the very existence of specific types of music is indicative of the listener's need to individuate and set themselves a part. We get to wrap up who we are, what we believe, and how we think into a succinct and neat phrase: I listen to ______. It is a strange notion to categories ourselves, but though strange, it is also easier. These musical stereotypes convey to the world exactly how we want to be perceived. These perceptions change as we ourselves change, and so our musical tastes are ever changing. Nevertheless there is a musical artist who is immune to this change-our 'first love' so to speak. This artist introduced us to a musical awakening and seemingly transcends our fickle tastes and changes. For me that artist was Damien Rice.

I almost feel uneasy labeling Damien Rice as a musician. He is so much more. He is an artist, a poet, a performer and a story-teller. Damien's musical style can be labeled as alternative folk. It is mainly acoustic with splashes of cello accompanied with hard percussion, all blending into the backdrop of melancholy and story telling. Damien's lyrics are the true gems of his art. He is often extremely vague while at the same time extremely personal. This musical paradox is what I love. I can listen to a Damien Rice song over and over, each time finding new meaning and new ways in which the song is relevant in my life. His music is perennial. My exposure to Damien opened my ears to hear music differently. Gone were the superficial tunes of the radio and mainstream music. I needed something deeper from my music, something genuine-not some musical one night stand, but rather an enduring and truly satisfying musical marriage. I now analyze any song I hear, seeking to interpret the underlying messages. Damien Rice provoked this in me. My name is Caleb, and I listen to Damien Rice.
linmark 2 / 328 7  
Nice essay: coherent and fresh. Some typos and suggestions:

which internin turn breaks down further

set themselvesa partapart .

t is a strange notion to categoriescatagorize ourselves

These perceptions (crucial point: do you mean self-perception versus perception of others?) change as we ourselves change, and so our musical tastes are ever changing.

Nevertheless, there is a musical artistone who is immune to this change-our 'first love' so to speak. This artist introduced us to a musical awakening and seemingly transcends our fickle tastes and changes. For me, that artist was Damien Rice.

Home / Undergraduate / Tastes in music, Damien Rice - unniversity of Chicago