Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Teach me. Help me grow. Give me the tools.' - Carnegie Mellon

gprs14 1 / -  
I know it's a little long, and I'm afraid I might go off topic a little bit but any help is appreciated!

Please submit a one-page, single-spaced essay that explains why you have chosen Carnegie Mellon and your particular major(s), department(s) or program(s). This essay should include the reasons why you've chosen the major(s), any goals or relevant work plans and any other information you would like us to know. If you are applying to more than one college or program, please mention each college or program you are applying to. Because our admission committees review applicants by college and programs, your essay can impact our final decision. Please do not exceed one page for this essay.

"From an early age, my world was filled with Lego's, puzzles, and Rubik's cubes. Now I've added Lego Mindstorm, programming, and ____ to the list. I am on a constant search to figure out how things work and to figure out the reasons behind the complexities. I believe Carnegie Mellon is an excellent place to delve even deeper into the heart of the problem, and work together to continue to ask questions even once you have the answer.

Bioartificial, pacemaker, diode, deoxyribonucleic acid, motherboard, neural tissue. You may think I just compiled a list of totally random things from perhaps the internet, because at first glance, it may seem that these things have nothing in common. Truth is, these are all components of what I believe is the field of the future and which I hope I can someday be a part of: Biomedical Engineering. The presence of my indented major is a big factor in choosing Carnegie Mellon. I have chosen Biomedical Engineering as my major because of the fact that it applies engineering principles to the field of medicine. The combination of these two major fields is a major attraction to me, because it thereby combines the professions of both my parents: my father being a systems analyst, and my mother being a family physician. I have a great interest in both these areas, and the combination of these two major fields of science closes the gap between engineering and medicine which only widens the horizon for all the possibilities of the field of the future.

Although my major is an influential factor in deciding which school I attend, there is much more which attracts me to Carnegie Mellon. The Carnegie Institute of Technology collaborates many different aspects of science and research into one in depth program. Research also being at the top of my list of things to pursue during college, I value the excellent research program I would have the opportunity to be a part of at Carnegie. As I have already participated in some research this past summer at the University of Minnesota, I am motivated to go out and further my knowledge and experience. The research teams and projects at Carnegie will give me hands on experience and an opportunity to solve the problems of tomorrow, today.

Math and science have always been my strong suits in school, which when coupled with problem solving and the necessity to think outside the box, a perfect field of figuring out how things work and asking the question "why?" is born: Engineering. Curiosity, always having a ruling position in my mind, is a major contributing factor to my motivation and determination to not stop till I get to the top. Whether it's taking apart the VCR, programming a video game, or beating Bowser on the final caste in Mario, my interest in mechanics never stops.

The main thing I hope Carnegie Mellon is able to do for me is simple. Teach me. Help me grow. Give me the tools necessary to solve the problem and I will take care of the rest. Without asking questions and furthering my boundaries, I would not be the person I am today; one who does not let failure be an option. However, when I do find myself unsuccessful, instead of asking myself why this has happened or giving up with a sour attitude, I ask myself, "How I prevent this from happening again?" "How can I do better next time?" "What can I change?" Failure only fuels my motivation for success. The ultimate goal is perfection. However, as a realist, I agree with Harriet Braiker. "Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing.""

Home / Undergraduate / 'Teach me. Help me grow. Give me the tools.' - Carnegie Mellon