V-Tech Green MOVEMENT, conservation and environmental issues

zaynouri 3 / 7  
Most people think of conservation and environmental issues when they hear of the Green Movement. Not that I am not a firm believer of saving our environment by taking small steps such as recycling or conserving energy, but the Green Movement I am referring to hits somewhere closer to my heart. The Green Movement began after the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in June of 2009, in Iran. Voters who had voted for the other two candidates claim that their votes have been stolen and the election had been a fraudulent one. They demanded the removal of Ahmadinejad from office and expressed their desire through protests, riots, and the spread of the Green Movement.

Green was the color of Mir Hossein Mousavi's campaign, one of Ahmadinejad's opponents, and now the color represents the unity and hope of the protestors. I have not only been able to connect with my fellow Iranians living in Iran under the regime through watching the riots on TV and on the web, but also personally taking part in the fight for freedom and democracy in Iran. Living near Capitol Hill has given me the opportunity to protest in one of the Green Movements demonstrations. The Green Movement protests and news was not contained within Iran's borders and has quickly spread throughout the world.

The Iranian government has retaliated towards protestors through the means of violence in order to limit their freedom of speech. Living in America where these rights are unalienable and also taken for granted because we have never experienced having to live without them. Watching the Green Movement in person and on TV has allowed me to gain appreciation for these often taken for granted rights.

This world event has helped bring to life the lesson of standing up for your beliefs. Our elders always advise us to do so but the lesson only hits us when something near and dear to our hearts is endangered. The movement started with a small group in Iran and now it encompasses thousands across the globe. Exemplifying that although it's nearly impossible for one person to change the world, through collaboration and determination there are no boundaries when it comes to making changes. Like me, the Green Movement is young and has not yet fully caused the change it desires but it continues in hopes of making a difference.
Not to be confused with the "green" effort to save our environment, that I am not a firm believer of saving our environment by taking small steps such as recycling or conserving energy, but the movement to which I am referring to hits somewhere closer to my heart.

In this sentence, you can increase efficiency:
Watching the Green Movement (give a different noun instead of repeating what it is called. "demonstrations" maybe...) in person and on TV has allowed me to gain gives me (or "fills me with") appreciation for these often taken for granted rights.

The movement started with a small group in Iran and now it encompasses thousands across the globe, exe mplifying that although it's nearly...

:-) This is well written!

Home / Undergraduate / V-Tech Green MOVEMENT, conservation and environmental issues