'technology advances so fast' - why Math, Science--Caltech Essay

astua1 2 / 4  
Prompt: How does scientific exploration excite and inspire you? In a page, more or less, what is it about math, science or engineering that compels you to satisfy your intellectual curiosity?

We live in a world were technology advances so fast the only constant is change itself. It's impossible to keep up. I have always being drawn to science-particularly engineering-because I am interested in understanding nature's mysterious ways. As naïve as it is, I have a sense of wonder. I want to understand, for instance, why we can't have fusion right now-and the ways I can help, with appropriate instruction and guidance, to make it possible. Such answers are in front of us. There's complexity in simple things. Or, more eloquently, as Richard Feynman put it, "the inconceivable nature of nature".

When my friend Ariela asked about my dream school-and I proudly responded Caltech-she said say suicide. Yeah, suicide: she thought the institute is a monastery for geniuses that will go nuts when something blows their logic. However, she happened to miss that every student admitted to Caltech has drive and curiosity for the world and its mysterious ways. I share those values. I want to attend Caltech for the thrill of discovery, research-and reward of obtaining the best education in math and science in the world. Caltech is the place where true creativity is matched with boundless curiosity. The result is the finest effort of people, in function of their curiosity. For me, intellectual curiosity is to work on projects that deal with important problems-like generate power from entropy, or heat generators as a preamble to fusion-and find a solution, or at least a step forward, for it, by using the best minds available.

STEM represents a challenge to human ingenuity. At first it will always be hard, but that's because there's a thinking process to be made before understanding. One has to learn its ways first. Afterwards, with such logic, STEM makes sense. It may be frustrating, but I remember that I must not be afraid of not knowing. I find it interesting. It empowers me to dream of the possibilities that "being clueless" projects. It engenders the passion to think of ways to develop the concepts and tools for new ideas to be viable. Science, technology, engineering, and math are the gateways for the discovery of new possibilities, and for new technologies. By not knowing, I am challenged by nature to understand its ways. I am curious person; unyielding in my ambition. I will never give up. Hence, in science, my curiosity will be always satisfied-for there's a question to be answered. It's all there-the discoveries we need to leap humanity forward-as Feynman said. But it takes will and understanding to unlock them.

As to Ariela's question, this was my reply: for you it's suicide-for me, the opportunity of a lifetime.

Any help is always welcome :)
We live in a world were technology advances so fast the only constant is change itself. [i]----------I feel there may be typos here coz it is too confusing to understand your idea. [/i]

I have always being drawn to science-particularly engineering-because I am interestedbecause of my curiousity in understanding nature's mysterious ways.

I want to understand, for instance, why we can't have fusion right now-and the ways I can help, with appropriate instruction and guidance, to make it possible. ------------- I feel this sentence has a disturbing flow. Dont combine too many ideas in a sentence because it may hurt clarity .

Or, more eloquently, as Richard Feynman put it, "the inconceivable nature of nature".---------- Good quote
jackhags69 1 / 5  
We live in a world were (where) technology advances so fast the only constant is change itself
I have always being drawn to science (been)
and find a solution, or at least a step forward, for it, by using the best minds available. (the ,for it, doesn't make sense)

One has to learn its ways first. (don't repeat first, you have it in the preceding sentence)
It may be frustrating, but I remember that I must not be afraid of not knowing (doesn't flow well... maybe, but I remember that I can't be afraid of not knowing? just so you don't repeat not.

I am curious person ; unyielding in my ambition (I am a curious person)

All in all, nice essay! and wow Caltech? best of luck to you! I hope you can be one of the few admitted :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'technology advances so fast' - why Math, Science--Caltech Essay