'Without technology, I would not be here' MIT Essay- Describe the world you come from

mituser 1 / 1  
MIT undergrad question.

Q:
Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?(*) (200-250 words)

A:
Without technology, I would not be here. From the moment my parents told me at the age of 10 that I was conceived through IVF, I have been fascinated by science, mathematics, and the mechanics of the resulting technology we see today. Living at the centre of London, surrounded by vast numbers of machines, buildings and people, taking that technology for granted can be easy. But I aspire not just to work with and use the mechanisms we see around us; I have a constant desire to create, to turn my ideas and thoughts into reality and to fully understand how the things I see around me work. I found a number of years ago that just following my school syllabus was not enough to satisfy my craving for knowledge- I had to delve further into the boundless world of information myself in order to appease my hunger. I began by exploring various clubs and societies at school, from Maths and Science to Programming, but few of them went at the fast pace I was looking for. I found that the only way to truly learn effectively was going to be to work somewhat independently- a challenge that I face with ambition and always a little fear. However, being an inhabitant of one of the world's most technologically advanced cities, help and people with similar ambitions have never been far away- difficult Maths or Computing projects have always been solvable when working with a supportive group of friends or teachers. This collaborative atmosphere and shared passion is something that has forged me and my education, and something that I aim to cherish and maintain in the future.

Any annotation or help is appreciated
Gervin101 2 / 7 1  
What is the word count? The essay seems a bit long for 250 words.
OP mituser 1 / 1  
It's under the limit on the MIT application site.
Gervin101 2 / 7 1  
My MS word tells me it is 277 words, so just a bit over the limit. Try saving it on your application and see if MyMIT allows it. As for the essay itself, I think it is well written and answers the prompt, however I do not quite see what your dreams and aspirations are in the essay. That might just be me though.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Without technology, I would not be here' MIT Essay- Describe the world you come from