'Technology systems' - MIT Describe Your World essay

AbhijeetS 4 / 6  
Harsh criticism welcome

Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs,school,community,city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?(*) (200-250 words)

My teachers have often told me that they have never seen anyone as curious me. I believe the reason for this is the unique upbringing I had. Because my dad and many of my uncles are engineers I have always been taught to be unafraid of experimenting with technology. My first experience with technology came in elementary school when my father and I put together a demonstration of the how the first telecommunication systems were constructed, and how they evolved into today's ubiquitous network. I also remember that day, as the day I first learned about MIT, when my teacher suggested that I should one day apply. Eventually, my fascination with phones, combined with what I had learned about circuit design from my uncle led to the art of phreaking, or manipulating the telecom network. I still remember getting a thrill from learning how phone lines were tapped and traced, and how CallerIDs could be spoofed, things I'd thought only the geniuses in Hollywood movies could do. I was even able to talk to engineers at BSNL, the Indian national telecommunications provider about the intricacies and quirks of the system. Exchanging ideas with them has been an richly rewarding experience; finding out that there were people as passionate as me was extremely exciting. My family's constant encouragement of experimentation, as well my experiences, have led me to seek out challenging and interesting systems and learn as much as possible about them.
luminousx 3 / 32  
Exchanging ideas with them has been an richly rewarding experience; finding out that there were people as passionate as me was extremely exciting.

I think you answered the prompt very well.
This is just nitpicking, but:
..have never seen anyone as curious I am.

And something about commas:
Eventually, my fascination with phones, combined with what I had learned about circuit design from my uncle, led to the art of "phreaking," which is a matter of manipulating the telecom network.

This is impressive and well-written! Above, that is just my idea for you, and not-so-important...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Technology systems' - MIT Describe Your World essay