Technology the way forward (UC Prompt 1)

Harsh 1 / -  
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." These famous lines by the Late Arthur Clarke fascinated me since I was a boy. The idea that man could perform "miracles" in real life astounds me. I have always been interested in the nuts and bolts of things. It started with me playing with dinosaur models at the age of two and comprehending reasons for their large tails but wondering why such mammoth creatures had small heads! My dream is to trap Energy from Lightning and use it to augment the shortage of Energy in the World. I feel with rapid advancement in Science and Technology, my quest will see light of day. Thus grew my profound interest in technology in all aspects, especially in computers and its workings.

I grew up in a family that encouraged rational thinking and scientific approach to matters. Many of my family members are involved in the modern advancements of man in technology. My Grandfather was a Nuclear Engineer, pioneering nuclear technology to India in the 70's. He has played a pivotal role in my life. Looking back, he would always tell me anecdotes about the importance of Science in society and if it were not for him, I would probably never love Science the way I do. Further, my Uncles are Chemical, Electrical and Computer Engineers and my cousins are involved in various branches of Engineering. Some of them have become successful entrepreneurs and others technocrats. My family environment encouraged my love for technology, as they are stellar role models in their chosen field in Technology.

I studied for 7 years, middle and senior school, at a prestigious boarding school in India that encouraged free thought and sharing of ideas. I participated in various extra-circular activities not limiting only to the Science & Math Clubs but was actively involved in the Debating, Dramatics and Literature societies. While receiving accolades in the Science & Math was motivating but being elected the Literary Captain of School in my last year of Senior school and winning top awards in four out of the five major competitions, helped develop my over all personality. Having schooled in India at the onset of the 21st century, a country finding its place under the sun in the field of Technology and Computer Sciences, further provided a catalyst in my desire to educate myself academically in the field of engineering and computers.

During my vacation after completing senior school, I took up Computer classes where I learnt about Computer Languages and how they actually work, the hardware of it. Simultaneously I got involved in a Rotary project educating Mumbai street children about computers. I saw faster and better results in social upliftment with use of computers, internet, etc. Those three months proved to be an invaluable experience and satisfaction.

Early this year because of some domestic issues, I moved to Sri Lanka and started High School. This September, rehabilitation camps for the ex LTTE minors were set up. During my weekends, I have volunteered to spend time with these ex LTTE minor/children. The mutual joy of interaction with these children today who until a few months ago were handling machine guns and being brain washed to become human bombs is unparallel.

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway." This quote always makes me draw comparisons to humans as how we have supposedly far exceeded our limits as we might have thought a few years ago was humanly possible. For such to continue, I believe that advancement in Computers, technology will guide us to the age of Enlightenment, and I want to play, albeit, a small part in it.
TimMill 9 / 63  
Watch your capitalization. Only the first word in every sentence and proper nouns should be capitalized- your first paragraph, you say "My dream is to trap E nergy from Li ghtning and use it to augment the shortage of E nergy in the W orld. I feel with rapid advancement in S cience and T echnology, my quest will see light of day. Thus grew my profound interest in technology in all aspects, especially in computers and its workings."

All the red is wrong. There's more, but start with that.

It's good writing, though! Just needs a little work.

Home / Undergraduate / Technology the way forward (UC Prompt 1)