Tell us about an engineering idea you have...

fearless9 4 / 12  
People from around the world were expecting the 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference to solve the troublesome climate problems. Unfortunately, the world leaders only agreed to a non-legally binding agreement which required countries to set goals to curb greenhouse gas emissions. The size of the emissions in the coming decades is determined not only by political decisions, but also by technological breakthroughs.

Outside my window, snow falls silently. Inside my warm home, the heating system hums, burning natural gases and releasing carbon dioxide. I am trying to perfect an idea that originated from last summer; if we can now enjoy fruits harvested in the summer, then can the summer heat be stored for the winter? Is it possible to capture the winter cold and then use it during the summer?

In order to live comfortably, we rely on heating systems in the winter and air conditioners in the summer. These equipments require colossal amounts of electricity and burn a substantial amount of coal or natural gases. Basically, our comfort is at the expense of sky-high bills and environmental pollutions.

I hope to develop a material that, when attached to the walls, can absorb heat during the summer, reducing the indoor temperature. During the winter, this energy storage material can emit the heat absorbed during the summer, and thus, increasing the indoor temperature (see diagram below). I believe that even if such technology can not completely replace the air conditioners and heating equipments, it can certainly save a considerable amount of energy. I understand that in order to achieve such a technology, I need to acquire a broad knowledge of various fields and to conduct extensive research...
epirote901 4 / 8  
I like that you're very specific in your engineering idea, showing that you're a focused, serious, and passionate abotu engineering. I think this question is for Cornell? Because i'm applying there too, and, if it is, I know it says "how will cornell help you solve this problem". Try to answers that too, at the end, and even if it isn't for cornell, try and incorporate how the specific college will help you realize your engineering dreams
This is too much of a leap from one subject to another:
The size of the emissions in the coming decades is determined not only by political decisions, but also by technological breakthroughs. Outside my window, snow falls silently.

Oh, wait a minute, I think you did a paragraph break there, so that helps... BUT you still should complete that first paragraph with one additional sentence. Add one sentence to that first paragraph, and let it be a thesis statement that captures the central idea of the essay in a single sentence.

I hope to develop a material that, when attached to the walls, can absorb heat during the summer, reducing the indoor temperature.----> This sentence is so forthright and confident-sounding that I almost want to suggest making it the first sentence of the whole essay. It is refreshing for a student to answer the prompt question immediately, at the start of an essay. So, consider that idea, the idea to put this sentence at the start. It will be col, because then the rest of the essay will be spent explaining its importance and the details of your idea...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Tell us about an engineering idea you have...