Tell us about a time you used your creativity...(MIT) "Acting Out Desiderata"

tommyj 5 / 6  
Tell us about a time you used your creativity. This could be something you made, a project that you led, an idea that you came up with, or pretty much anything else. (200-250 Words)

In spite of my insignificant miseries, I find solace and peace in prayer. As I allow the inert heap of mass that is my body to sink deeper into silence, I gradually come upon the truth. The truth will set you free, they say. And, as I listen to the voice of God in my heart, I discover happiness I vainly pursue in the secular world.

It is difficult for humanity to understand the prime value of prayer especially in this age of post-industrialism when we are all afraid of the intrusion of religion in our lives. Usually we are more docile only if doctrines benefit the individual, or are ludicrously entertaining...

"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." God whispered to man on the trillionth day of creation. For five minutes in front of an audience of AP Literature scholars, I was master of the universe. And, my friend, Vikalp, with his incredible ability to feign excessive gregariousness, played a soul lost in pure worldliness. Together, we served to our peers the message of Max Ehrmann's poem, Desiderata, in a platter of pure drama and entertainment.

Looking Vikalp in the eye as God pulls him from the ground at the last stanza, I was about ready to finish the skit.

Astonishingly, as we closed, the students saved the applause, though everyone nodded at the actors, smiling at us wholeheartedly and sincerely-one could tell. Perhaps they, too, realized that it was more peaceful silent.
mle2010 7 / 38  
Amazing writing. You are definitely a talented writer. I would be careful with the religious aspect. Secular schools want to make sure you will be okay in a secular environment. Also, try to tie in your introduction about prayer into the ending of the skit. Or, maybe start your first sentence, with "I find solace and peace in peaceful silence." instead of prayer, I believe it will be much easier to tie your initial point back into your skit.

Again, amazing writing skills!

If you get a chance, please comment on my essay.
sweetpotatoes92 - / 2  
I agree with mle2010. Amazing writing! Great use of space too.

The beginning has to be tied in with the end somehow... that really is all I can say.

Great technique; it really does shine through :)

Good luck!
rchase520 2 / 4  
Very strong essay. The vocabulary is great, but there are a few corrections I would make.

And, as I listen to the voice of God in my heart, I discover the happiness I vainly pursue in the secular world.

It is difficult for humanity to understand the prime value of prayer especially in this age of post-industrialism when we are all afraid of the intrusion of religion in our lives.

This sentence seems a bit too long, and I'm sure you know what you're saying but I really don't understand. Just try to cut it down a bit.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence, "God whispered to man on the trillionth day of creation.

Looking Vikalp in the eye as I, God, pull him from the ground during the last stanza, I was about ready to finish the skit.

Astonishingly, as we closed, the students saved the applause. Everyone nodded at the actors, smiling at us wholeheartedly and sincerely-one could tell.

Great essay! Please take a few minutes to read over and critique mine.

Thanks in advance!

Home / Undergraduate / Tell us about a time you used your creativity...(MIT) "Acting Out Desiderata"