"Temporary" feelings. UVA "What is your favorite word and why?" Is it too silly and over dramatic?

jennaz 2 / 5  
They said roughly 250 words, but its 260 is that ok?

Nothing lasts forever, all is temporary

"Sadness and fear. The one thing they all have in common is that they are ever-changing concepts. One may feel sadness, but the void within will one day be filled again. One may feel fear, but it will be confronted. Why? Because they are all temporary.

The first time I felt like I was in the depths of despair was when I was 5 years old. My heart fluttered as we strolled along the 'Appliances' section, gadgets and machinery were displayed along every shelf and table. This was a museum, I thought. And the best part was, that there were no signs that said "Don't Touch". We were lost in our own imaginations, so compelled by the glorious works of art, and not realising that our parents had been long gone. When we finally realised, my fluttering heart sank into the pits of my stomach. Mad, sad, terrified, those emotions were swirling like a tornado only gathering more and more pain and torment as it glided across my mind. Until I heard her voice. These previous emotions lifted away like a coat of negativity shedding off my skin. Although I thought it was the end, I was only temporarily muddled in what I thought was the end.

The word temporary is usually served on a dish with many negative connotations, yet I think it is one of the most relieving lessons to endure. Nothing lasts forever, because there will always be another open door towards a strange but hopeful path. This is why it is my favourite word, but who knows? It is only temporary."
Shizumi 2 / 3  
@jennaz
I think your last sentence is humorous, i found it funny.
From what I know, colleges do mind about the word count. Your essay seems to flow well but I can see how your first paragraph tries to correlate with the rest of the essay but I'm not sure if you should include the first introduction...
OP jennaz 2 / 5  
@Shizumi
how should i start the first sentence? I can cut down i think. im pretty good at that. Thanks :)
Jenna, while some students here might tell you that it is okay to go over a certain percentage of the word count and the system will still accept your essay, I am of a different opinion. There is a reason that you were given a word requirement. That is meant to keep the essay focused on the discussion topic provided. The reviewers only have a limited amount of time to review essays so they do not have time to waste wading through wordy essays. They normally just skip those, in the event of paper essays, or the system totally rejects the essay during online submission so your paper will never even have a chance to be read. So be cautious and rule abiding. That means, stick to the maximum word count. That is, if you value your application to the university.

Now, with the 250 words, you were instructed to discuss only one specific word that you find to be your favorite. Yet, I count at least 3 words being discussed in this essay. Keep in mind that the reviewer is also judging your ability to follow instructions as that is an integral part of being a college bound student. Your work obviously tells him that you are a rule breaker. You were told to discuss one word and you discussed numerous words instead. That will make him rethink your application status to his university. So you should edit the content instead. Do specifically what the prompt requires, which is to discuss one, singular, solitary word that is your favorite term to use in your daily life.
Shizumi 2 / 3  
@jennaz
Maybe talk more about the word temporary. Your first intro, I thought your favorite word was sadness and fear. It wasn't till the end where I found out that temporary is your favorite word.

Be clear about your topic. Be specific about it.

Hope this helps.
OP jennaz 2 / 5  
the requirement said "roughly 250/half a page" lmao and I have about 255

Home / Undergraduate / "Temporary" feelings. UVA "What is your favorite word and why?" Is it too silly and over dramatic?