"Ten minus seven"; EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY- tutoring

jamiexc 2 / 4  
In the space provided below, please elaborate on one of your activities (extracurricular, personal activities, or work experience)(150 words or fewer).

"Ten minus seven." I held up ten fingers, asking the second grader to count down aloud. My heart warmed as she physically bent down each of my fingers so to see them visually disappear. I counted along with her. After a good few months, she was counting mentally. In my time spent tutoring, I've learned patience, communication, and compassion for children. Despite playing the role of a teacher, I've often felt more like the student; I have learned that when it comes to children, visuals, tone, and patience are equally as important as wording. In order to achieve the desired epiphany from the child I find I must alter my explanations multiple times to find the right fit; repetition is meaningless if the concept isn't sinking in. From my perspective, their miscomprehension can only be accredited to an inadequate explanation. I keep this in mind each time I tutor.
lowcal 12 / 27  
this is really good.

i really like this sentence

From my perspective, their miscomprehension can only be accredited to an inadequate explanation.

great job!
Katsch 4 / 63  
In order to achieve the desired epiphany from a child, I find I must alter my explanations multiple times to find the right fit

Just something small.
Nice job!
juesewang 4 / 9  
the question asks you to elaborate on an activity. You conveyed well what tutoring taught you and how it affected you but what does this activity mean to you? Why this activity?
swirl92 2 / 5  
This is a very well written response, however I agree with juesewang about the elaboration part. How has tutoring impacted you in a way to make it your most important activity? How has these lessons that you've learned impacted your daily life? Good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Ten minus seven"; EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY- tutoring