"the tendency to assume leadership" - NYU supplement

nemrac 5 / 2  
Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself.

A trait that I inherited from my mother would be the tendency to assume leadership. My mum was never acknowledged as a leader but when with her friends, she takes on the role of a leader comfortably and naturally. I too, have the inclination to do so. At times of decision-making, I am able to step up and lead the group towards making the most adequate decision in the shortest time. I am grateful to have inherited this trait and the various leadership opportunities which it has presented me with.

New York City is an essential element of academic and cultural life at NYU. If you could engage in an activity or start a club or service organization at NYU, what would it be and how would you envision it impacting the larger community?

I would like to be involved with or start a sports club as I feel that sports can bring people of diverse cultures and races together. However, the focus of the club would not be to win competitions but for the members of the club to reach out to the community through sports. Members would train in various sports and teach their skills to the less privileged children. Through these interactions, the children's needs could be uncovered and solutions found to them.

You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why?

I would choose any Chinese hymn that I sing in church. I am a terribly off-key singer and songs like these that are suited for the masses would be appropriate. The lyrics of the song speak of how we are supposed to follow and trust God for he knows what is best for us. I believe so and would like to share my faith with other non-believers. I may not be able to sing the song as well as some of the other contestants but I believe that my faith would make the song pleasing to the audience.

(is this okay?)

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

I have always been interested in Mathematics as I crave for the challenges that a tough problem or question brings. That, coupled with the knowledge of statistics recently learnt, I found that Math had useful and very practical applications in the real world. I have been intrigued with how the economy works and functions, especially in the area of finance and banking. Of course, the flexibility and adaptability that a finance degree allows in terms future careers are also very attractive.
gracetm 6 / 13  
->My mum is never acknowledged as a leader

"I believe so and would like to share my faith with other non-believers." If I were you, I would change "other non-believers" to "others", so you don't seem to be sermonizing.

Good job:)
For the first one, check out this for inspiration:
webtools.delmarlearning.com/sample_chapters/076682536 1_ch01.pdf

For this part, I took out the word "other":

I would choose any Chinese hymn that I sing in church. I am a terribly off-key singer and songs like these that are suited for the masses would be appropriate. The lyrics of the song speak of how we are supposed to follow and trust God for he knows what is best for us. I believe so and would like to share my faith with non-believers . I may not be able to sing the song as well as some of the other contestants but I believe that my faith would make the song pleasing to the audience.

This, above, is such a smart and intriguing way to answer the prompt!! You show humility, passion, and fearlessness all at the same time. I am impressed!!

I have always been interested in Mathematics as I crave the challenges that a tough problem brings. That, coupled with the knowledge of statistics that I recently learnt, is evidence of math's useful and very practical applications...

Home / Undergraduate / "the tendency to assume leadership" - NYU supplement