'Tennis career' - 1000 Character Extracurricular Short Response

sgupta654 3 / 3  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

There is no such thing as perfection in tennis. Losing is an acceptable part of this sport, and in my 8 years of playing tennis, I have lost more games than I have won. Losing does not destroy my confidence; instead, it brings me back to the court, only feeding my hunger to improve. The most crucial part of tennis, the service, has always been the low point of my tennis career. Whenever I thought that I had mastered this skill, my countless double faults in my games had set me back to the basics. My service was also a dreadful setback in my 9th grade varsity tryouts. When Coach Rodriguez told me that I had not made the team, I immediately knew what I had failed to execute. Over the next year, I persisted in practicing the fundamentals of my service not until I had reached perfection, but until I had consistency. This consistency led to my placement in varsity. The successes and failures that I have experienced from tennis have taught me to be a better player and a better individual.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi :) Your essay is great! This is a good topic to write about and shows the officials that you are a strong individual. Playing a sport like tennis takes a lot of practice and hard work, so it makes you look good- in a way that your competitive qualities will help you keep up in school. There is one sentence that I think would sound better if it was revised:

The most crucial part of tennis, the service, has always been the low point of my tennis career. I don't like the way "low point" sounds... maybe say it like this?

"The most challenging part of tennis is mastering the art of serving the ball."
Good luck in school!
kgwatsup 2 / 2 1  
Yeah, great essay! It really shows your commitment to the sport, which will show the officials that you are very hardworking.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Tennis career' - 1000 Character Extracurricular Short Response