Texas A&M App. Essay; 'A Dad is a man who is there for his children'

mexicanbwoy 1 / -  
Topic: Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

Sometimes we come across a person who changes your whole perspective on life. That person doesn't have to be a celebrity, a millionaire, or even blood-related, in my case. I had the tremendous fortune of coming across this special person before I was even a year old. He taught me responsibility, integrity, humility, and how to build a pyramid out of Legos. His name, to me, is Dad and although he is not my "biological father," I have always called him Dad. A Dad is a man who is there for his children, whether it be at their first track meet or in the ER for seven hours because they so foolishly dislocated their finger.

It's a shame that I haven't been able to fully appreciate my dad until my teenage years. He took my mom and older brother in 19 years ago and hasn't taken a second at his decision. For any man to take in two kids that aren't his and treat them as his own is nothing short of amazing. I remember when he first told me he was my stepfather. I replied to him in disbelief, "No, you're not!" Some people may find pity on a kid who never knew his real father. Why? My dad has been more of a father to me than some father's are to their biological children.

I was never the kind of kid to get "lubby dubby" with anyone, not even my own mom. But, hugging my dad goodbye every day before I went to elementary school across the street was something I didn't think twice about. It was a normal routine and although I may do it significantly less as a senior in high school, I still give the occasional hug before driving my siblings and myself to school. We used to have a game where we determined who hugged the hardest. Of course, as a child in elementary, he always won. But, now I take the gold 99.9% of the time. He had to sit down last timed I hugged him.

My dad would always be the first person to tell me that I'm doing something wrong, from teasing my little brother to 'not coming to a complete stop" at the neighborhood stop sign. He always insisted on allowing me to determine what I did wrong first, however. Of course, for the first few years of my life, his message was not getting through the maze that is my head and I always responded with a blunt, yet respectful, "I don't know...", his least favorite phrase. But, his message finally found the cheese and because of his long, patient struggle I'm able to confront my mistakes and learn from them for the better. The man who learns from his mistakes will always be better than the man who lives under them.

The unrelenting confidence I feel when I'm with my dad and the way he alone understands me as if he were living my life I will always carry with me. My dad is always the one person I will try to impress, whether it was with my vast knowledge of the strange weapons used in World War II or jumping from the "big boy" diving board at the community pool. The total and complete patience he has had with me in my best and worst moments, the knowledge and wisdom he has passed down to me, and the years of fun I have had with him all sum up to one word: Dad.
zkinx6 2 / 5  
I like your introduction, it frames the essay well. One suggestion for clarification.
"It's a shame that I haven't been able to fully appreciate my dad until my teenage years. He took my mom and older brother in 19 years ago and hasn't taken a second at his decision. For any man to take in two kids that aren't his and treat them as his own is nothing short of amazing."

Replace with "has never looked back"

Overall it is good and engaging. Good job.

Home / Undergraduate / Texas A&M App. Essay; 'A Dad is a man who is there for his children'