Texas A&M - Artistic New Perspective

lisaartus 1 / -  
Don't be afraid to be harsh on me.

Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.

"Art is anything." That is the answer art teachers usually give when opening a lecture. However, is that entirely true? I may be no Georgia O' Keefe, but I do have a say in the matter as an individual who finds pleasure in creating art. What I believe is that art is something that has passion dripping from its canvas, lurking in the graphite shadows, or reflecting off of a camera lens. When I paint or draw, I feel an inner compulsion propelling me to create a projection of myself through my artwork. I never would have been able to develop this ability without the guidance of my art teacher, Ms. Madonna Tully.

For 9 years I walked into Ms. Tully's art studio, plopped down in a chair, and picked up whatever art utensil she had set out for me. She would then say, "Draw what you see." Initially, as any naïve child would, I interpreted the phrase to mean exactly what it stated. As I grew older, Ms. Tully taught me to find what is real and emotional about the subject I portrayed. Although an apple may be an apple, it can have personality. Its hues and style gives the apple a purpose or message. As bohemian as this statement may sound, I found it helpful in viewing anything as unique, in an unbiased manner. Being given this new perspective on art, I started applying this open-mindedness to other aspects of my life, changing the way I saw everything.

As a girl attending private school the majority of her educational career, I often conformed to the common customs that were presented to me. I never questioned anything, nor attempted to branch out on my own. But when I started attending art classes outside of school, an entirely separate world began to form for me. It was my own retreat to bliss and innovation. Ms. Tully uncovered a side of me that could disestablish any universal idea, whether it pertained to art, politics, or moral values. I did not at all become an iconoclastic rebel, but stepped back to take a look at situations from all sides. Thankfully, this newfound outgoing personality made the transition to high school and the process of maturation that much smoother.

I still have a lot to encounter on this twisted path of self-discovery that every young adult must grudgingly travel on. But I am aware of the change I have gone through which is very rare at this age in my generation. I only hope that I can continue to grow at this rate in a world where even the wisest person seems to have an infinitely increasing amount of things to learn. Ms. Tully has inspired me to constantly strive to see things in a different way and through her excitement to teach, my passion to learn has expanded greatly. I see things in a different perspective now, and that has made the view more breathtaking that I've ever seen before.
d21 - / 1  
You answered the prompt very well, and you clearly developed the impact she had while you reflected on yourself. It's pretty solid.
Initially, as any naïve child would, I interpreted the phrase to mean exactly what it stated.

ha ha, very cool...

I think you should type nine instead of 9.

I like your definition of art. "Passion" is the word you use to define it...therefore, at the end of the essay say something about art when you mention passion in relation to learning:

Ms. Tully has inspired me to constantly strive to see things in a different way and through her excitement to teach, my passion to learn has expanded greatly. ---"connect" art, passion, and learning with a cool concept that connects them.

I see things in from a different perspective now, and that has made the view more breathtaking that I've ever seen before.

Home / Undergraduate / Texas A&M - Artistic New Perspective