Texas A&M -- Statement of purpose -- Write about my motivation (too emotional?)

hoangt 1 / -  
I'm starting my statement of purpose to transfer to Texas A&M univ. I'm a little confused. Here's the instruction:

The statement of purpose will provide an opportunity to explain any extenuating circumstances that you feel could add value to your application. You may also want to explain unique aspects of your academic background or valued experiences you may have had that relate to your academic discipline.

I'm thinking of writing about my motivations to make the essay sound a bit emotional. Do you think it is fine with this kind of essay?

Do I need to say the reasons why I choose the school/major (Biomedical Engineering) also?

I appreciate any advice.
m00ny 2 / 20  
Well, you clearly should avoid stating your accomplishments and activities, right? =)
- write about your character (ask friends to help you with that)
- what makes you angry, happy, inspires you?
- what do you expect (as a person) from university & professor?
- add some lines about your family & friends, what they mean to you, ...
- writing about your skills or rather, what made you urge & pursue those skills is a great tool to tell them what are you capable of

- clearly, including motivation and reasons for choosing Texas A&M uni. is necessary, but keep in mind to be short
- ... think, young boy =)
writing about my motivations to make the essay sound a bit emotional.

What do you mean? For sure, you should write about your motivations in one way or another.

you clearly should avoid stating your accomplishments and activities, right? =)

Great advice, Moon Dan.

What this essay is... it is your self-expression. You get to express the ideas you have gained by reading a lot of books and articles associated with your chosen field. Some kids to not read about the advancements in their chosen field, and those kids are not so serious. Your job right now is to prove that you have something to say, prove that you have ideas.

So... it is up to you. It all depends on how much you have read. And if you feel unprepared, you should go find 3 things to read before starting the essay. i.e. things written by people in the field of biomed engineering.

Home / Undergraduate / Texas A&M -- Statement of purpose -- Write about my motivation (too emotional?)