Texas Tech Essay-Electricity & Music/ Education and career goals

michael_brand1 2 / 2  
the prompt:

Education and career goals
please state education and career goals and the reason for choosing your major

My Major choice is based on a combination of family needs and a deep liking and history with electrical products. Since I have been able to understand the capabilities of electrical devices, I have always wondered how they work together and if they could optimized to do more. Becoming an electrical engineer will stimulate my want to understand the products around me, which is why I plan to at least achieve a bachelors degree in electrical engineering. Another skill I plan to take into college is my musicianship, seeing as I have both the enjoyment and skills to play in a college band I would like to also participate in the school of music.

Though I do not currently want to pursue a career of music I would still like to further my skills by participating in a college music program. Currently, I am a trombone player who, out of all the Plainview High School band members, has advanced the farthest in region, area and state competitions. I very much enjoy the capability to play music, to understand music more than others, and make music of my own, but I cannot see my musicianship sprout into a career, only as a lifetime hobby. The reasons I do not want to persevere a music career is the instability as a career and my preference of electricity and electronics to playing my instrument. Even though I prefer electronics I am interested in achieving a degree in music education, but because I am set on achieving a electronic engineering degree, first and foremost, the possibility in achieving a second degree in music education is very slim because of financial and time management a degree in music seems very implausible at this point of my life.

My main interest in college will be electrical engineering, as I try to achieve a bachelors then possibly a masters. The reasons I have decided that a career in electrical engineering is my constant research in optimizing a device for uses farther that it was made to do, whether it be on the internet, opening the device itself or simply trying its compatibility with other devices. Countless times I have found myself opening the seams to a controller trying to find its malfunction, rewiring the home surround sound or the car speakers to see if there is a better way for the best sound, and splicing wires to connect two devices together because of my belief that it can always be better. Having the want to make the best device possible, I see electrical engineering as a way to let this passion into a career. Though electrical engineering will benefit me in many selfish ways, the degree seems to grant a need for my family, stability. Electricity and electrical devices on the rise every day encourages me that electrical engineering will help me and my family raise our ability to become a family that does not say "if" but "when."

Though there are many obstacles and time between now and when I leave college, I believe that I have enough determination and need to achieve my ultimate goal of graduating college with a degree ready to face adulthood successfully but alone. I have done much consideration in my goal and my choice of electricity over music and plan to do the best with my life for my life but most importantly for my family around me and my family yet to come.
yyc1 5 / 10 2  
you bring up some good points. just a few suggestions:

family needs and a deep liking and history with electrical products.

change the word "liking" , its not convincing enough

they could be optimized to do more.

Becoming an electrical engineer will stimulate my want to understand the products around me,

the word "want" is not very convincing either, i would put something more along the lines of "desire"

good luck:)

Home / Undergraduate / Texas Tech Essay-Electricity & Music/ Education and career goals