Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

Texas Tech, my Hispanic culture - Apply Texas

Lizzy9311 2 / 4  
Topic: There may be personal information that you want considered as part of your admissions application. Write an essay describing that information. You might include exceptional hardships, challenges, or opportunities that have shaped or impacted your abilities or academic credentials, personal responsibilities, exceptional achievements or talents, educational goals, or ways in which you might contribute to an institution committed to creating a diverse learning environment.

Essay: As part of my Hispanic culture, a girl has two options upon high school graduation: either get married and have kids or continue to get a higher education. Many Hispanic girls chose the first and easy option: getting married. However, I choose the second option, pursuing higher education, because I believe in the American dream: I can become whoever I want to be- that is to ultimately become a psychologist. Yet, it is a dream with many challenges especially since my family immigrated from Mexico. College was expensive then so my parents could not afford to pursue a higher education. Hence, I decided to honor them and make them proud by being able to attend college. College is an option in many countries; however, because of income issues people often chose a different path than college. In the United States one is able to receive scholarships and grants making college more affordable and accessible, a more obtainable dream.

Since I am the first person to graduate from high school in my family, I am a bit unfortunate because I do not know what to expect as college comes to mind. Being that, I try to seek the resources that are available, for example talking to my high school counselors or mentors that are available to help me. It is still challenging because I am not able to talk to my parents about the college process because they would not understand.

While growing up, the first language I learned and spoke was Spanish. My parents were not familiar with the English language therefore, I was not acquainted with. Whenever I started school, I noticed that almost everyone around me spoke English and the homework I was assigned was in English. That is when all the challenges began flowing in. I had difficulties doing my homework and received little support from my parents since they did not understand the material. The only resources I found useful were from the teachers at school since they were teaching the subject. There were times I just wanted to give up everything but I realized that I was not the only one struggling with this problem, and that if I would learn English it would be like finding a key to the door of endless possibilities.

Being the oldest in my family turned out to be difficult because I was the one in charge of my siblings whenever my mother was not available. I was responsible for them and made sure they were doing fine. Going home, I had various responsibilities waiting for me, they were to do my homework, my chores, and take care of my siblings if my parents were not home. While school was expecting me to do my work my parents were expecting me to be responsible for my siblings at home.

Going to college will be a big step I will take towards a successful future; it will change my life because I will take advantage of having the privilege of pursuing a higher education and gaining further knowledge in life. It will be a dream I have always wanted to accomplish with the hard work and strength I have put towards my education. Being that my parents did not pursue higher education, and have to perform jobs that pay little money, I want to succeed and not follow their footsteps because I want to have a chance to maintain a stable career upon completing graduation and provide for my family. I believe in the American dream.

Would really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Home / Undergraduate / Texas Tech, my Hispanic culture - Apply Texas