Texas Tech: my mom practices what she preaches and she has made an impact on my life

mhpuklg 1 / 1  
Please give me feedback on content and grammar/wording for this essay. Thanks!

This was a difficult topic to choose because I have many strong influences in my world. Also, for better or for worse, each family member in a person's life provides vivid filters, lenses and sometimes even blinders with which to view the world. In the process of maturing, there have been many times I have felt the need to step back and readjust or realign those family-influenced filters. However, sometimes God connects you with a person who will forever change your world and influence you for years to come, no adjustments necessary. The saying there is nothing like a mother's love for her child is anything but just a saying. I have experienced this first hand from the most important person in my life, my mother. She is my hero, savior, best friend, conscience and so much more.

Our relationship has not always been one of admiration and understanding. Growing up, my family went through separation and divorce. This event put a strain on every relationship but especially mine and my mothers. At the time, I didn't understand that every choice or decision my mom made for me came from wisdom and the knowledge that she knew what was best. Now that I have grown and matured I see all of the sacrifices and moments that she put me before herself. This taught me that I did have someone that was always going to be there for me and that had my best interests at heart. I learned by a example to always do my best to follow that pattern to be there for the people that I love and care about just like she was and always will be.

What are a few of my favorite things I learned from my mom? I have learned from my mother to do everything in excellence. Starting high school was a struggle for me and it, as any other problem, I was taught to face it head on. In school I always did my best and knew I could walk away feeling accomplished. My mother teaching me to face situations head-on made me very straight forward, especially in communicating. This was a good skill to have especially with my family background and being in high school. I am not afraid to say what I am thinking and stand up for myself. Although I am direct with people, my mom also helped me understand the benefits of being tactful and handling difficult situations with class and integrity. My mom frequently said you get more flies with honey than vinegar and that's something I have taken to heart. I know that while stating your opinion is important, it isn't necessary to cross lines or push boundaries.

I have learned to not sweat the small things in life. Situations in life are going to happen that are out of your control and dwelling on these situations doesn't change reality. I believe the most important impact my mom made on my life is to remember to love people and use things not the other way around.

My mother loves fiercely and never takes love for granted. I know without a doubt that my mom practices what she preaches and her words are not empty. THIS HAS CARRIED OUT IN MY LIFE. I know that to give love you have to give and to get respect you have to earn it and that actions speak louder than words. That is what I would like to pass on to as many people and children as I can. Without my mom I know that I wouldn't be who I am today. I have inherited more than her cheek bones and blond hair, I have inherited her heart. I will always be grateful for everything she has done for me and the life she has given me. I hope that I will be half the mother or teacher she is one day.
This event put a strain on every relationship but especially my relationship with my mother.

She is my hero, savior, best friend, conscience and so much more. ---You have this at the end of the first paragraph, and it makes me reflect on the fact that you are expressing appreciation for your mother, but all these nouns you string together with 'and so much more' makes is nonspecific. It makes it so that there is no memorable theme for the essay.

The writing of an essay is all about one big idea that is so important that it deserves to have a whole essay written about it. If you have a lot of ideas, it is not so powerful. I think this is a great tribute to your mother, but I challenge you to add a theme to the first and last paragraphs... a memorable idea that you want the reader to think about. One unique, awesome idea. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / Texas Tech: my mom practices what she preaches and she has made an impact on my life