"Thailander" ; NYU sup/ What intrigues you?

malaikaiyer 6 / 13 4  
What intrigues you? Tell us about one work of art, scientific achievement, piece of literature, method of communication, or place in the world (a film, book, performance, website, event, location, etc.), and explain its significance to you.

Star of Siam on Metropolitan Blvd, across the street from a Carvel, sitting alongside Edible Arrangements. Their "We're Open" sign manages to squirm through my hectic days, and give me that almost-as-good-as-mom's plate of drunken noodles. Dinner after dinner, I escape to the small confines of an "along the beaten path" restaurant, where Areya, brings me Tom Yum soup as a starter; can't beat their ten dollar dinner special. I'm not Thai nor do I have a trail of Siamese in my blood; I have no connection to Thailand. My mom's dinner plate consists of roti and daal, an Indian dinner. But after that one bite, that one glorious chew of the slimy noodle covered in spices and curry galore, just call me a "Thailander." Areya, my new friend, traveled from Thailand in search of a better life. As she smiles with every step bringing me my order, I realize I can only ask for that, a happy heart. From her dedication, to her strength: as a person, an immigrant, a woman, Areya has shown me the importance of perseverance. Each time I take a bite, she takes a step closer to paying for an extra college class, or a heavier envelop of money to send back home. With this in mind, I say "Can I get the regular?" What I mean is "You can do it."
katev 18 / 120 24  
(If you're going to describe it like this, maybe say Star of Siam last, like this...)Star of Siam oO n Metropolitan Blvd, across the street from a Carvel, sitting alongsideand directly next to an Edible Arrangements, sits the Star of Siam . TheirThe "We're Open" sign manages to squirm(don't know what you mean by "squirm) through my hectic days, and gives me that almost-as-good-as-mom's plate of drunken (is this the name of the dish?) noodles. Dinner after dinner, I escape to the small confines of an "along the beaten path"(maybe say, "this hole-in-the-wall," along the beaten path doesn't really mean anything in this case) restaurant, where Areya, brings me Tom Yum soup as a starter; (not the correct way to use semicolon) can't beat their ten dollar dinner special. I'm not Thai nor do I have a trailan ounce of Siamese in my blood; I have no connection to Thailand. My mom's dinner plate consists of roti and daal, an Indian dinner. But after that one bite, that one glorious chew (odd synonym for 'bite') of the slimy (bad connotation) noodle covered in spices and curry galore, just call me a "Thailander." Areya, my new friend, traveled from Thailand in search of a better life. As she smiles with every step bringing me my order, I realize I can only ask for that, a happy heart. From her dedication, to her strength: as a person, an immigrant, and as a woman, Areya has shown me the importance of perseverance. Each time I take a bite, she takes a step closer to paying for an extra college class, or a heavier envelop of money to send back home. With this in mind, I say "Can I get the regular?" What I mean is "You can do it."

This would answer the prompt perfectly if it said "What inspires you?" You need to make an argument that Areya intrigues you. What does she do that is so different that it actually makes you stop and think? If you want your intrigue to be about Areya, bring up her name more in the beginning. You need to say things like "This hole-in-the-wall restaurant has not only delicious noodles, but also a wonderfully positive/optimistic woman working in it."
OP malaikaiyer 6 / 13 4  
Thank you so much, I think I'm just going to discard this supplement. It was awkward and off topic. Thank you so much for your feedback though!

Home / Undergraduate / "Thailander" ; NYU sup/ What intrigues you?