"theoretical and practical aspects of science" - Michigan: "Why I want to attend"

melkorthefoul 13 / 31  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests? (500 words maximum)

For quite some time, I have been very interested in research. Passive learning has never really appealed to me, and I constantly try to do some extra work outside the class. That is why I will that the University of Michigan is the perfect place for me - the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program really allows me to pursue my passion for scientific research, especially in fields such as nanotechnology or cosmology. In addition to the UROP, the EECS department has other qualities which attract me to the Computer Engineering/Science program at the University of Michigan. EECS 449, which gives me the opportunity to conduct independent research, and therefore will give me the skills I will need to conduct such research in the future.

One course in particular that really interests me is EECS 470. This course, as far as I can determine, has no equivalent anywhere else, and just so happens to be one of main interests in Computer Engineering: Computer Architecture. The availability of this course at the University of Michigan is yet another reason for my applying to the University, since most other universities only offer this course at the graduate level.

There is one more thing that the University of Michigan offers that I have not found to be abundant in the United States - An opportunity to obtain a B.A. as well as a B.S.E. This is especially important to me since I value both the theoretical and practical aspects of science, and studying at the University of Michigan will allow me to pursue both degrees simultaneously.

Thats it so far... my concern is that it feels really short D:
I've been working on it for a while, and this type of essay really gets me... I find it quite hard to write a "Why this college" essay, even if I have good reasons for wanting to attend

Help?
That is why I willthink or believe... that the University of Michigan is the perfect place for me - the Undergraduate...

... has no equivalent anywhere else, and it just so happens to be one of my main interests in Computer Engineering: Computer Architecture.

The availability of this course at the University of Michigan is yet another reason for my applying to the University , since most other universities only offer this course at the graduate level.

I think this is great. You covered some qualities which attracted you to the school, a nice description of specific classes you'd like to take, and how they would fit in with your plans. If you'd like to make it longer, you might personalize it a little, so your essay will stand out from the others. For example, you might tell something about your ideal career and how attending this school specifically, will help you reach your goal.

Home / Undergraduate / "theoretical and practical aspects of science" - Michigan: "Why I want to attend"