Things I Want to Accomplish in the Next 4 Years - Why Yale

tonglil 3 / 8  
You have already told us about yourself in the Common Application, with its list of activities, Short Answer, and Personal Essay. In this required second essay, tell us something that you would like us to know about you that we might not get from the rest of your application - or something that you would like a chance to say more about.

Yale is a liberal arts college with the capabilities of a research institution, the type of post-secondary education I am yearning to receive! My goal at Yale would be to pursue the knowledge of green architecture through the school's inspiring experience that hosts the best professors, research, and extracurricular activities, which together I trust will mold me into a well rounded citizen.

The spark for my ambition of architecture comes from my younger years, when I found a fascination with the skyscrapers that towered my neighborhood. Since then, I have sketched hundreds of concepts and used LEGO and balsa wood to construct models to express my creativity. My interest is fueled by the design process: to successfully mold a personal feeling into something real and concrete. When the words "climate change" entered my vocabulary, I relished the idea to couple sustainability to design. I want to preserve of the environment by incorporating sustainable principles with the beauty of design. Yale can bestow me with its all encompassing education to allow me to pay respect to these relationships in everything I do.

The resources contained within Yale's 22 building library system are almost unlimited, and is fully capable of providing me with the information I need to achieve my dreams. I see Yale's resources as an extension of everything I have stood for: creativity, culture, inspiration, passion, and even little charm. Furthermore, I want to broaden the innovative ideas that are already exemplified by Yalies, such as the Sustainable Food Project that aims to provide for a more sustainable dining service. In addition, President Richard Levin demonstrates great leadership in reducing Yale's environmental impact through the signing of the Sustainability Strategic Plan, which I find very motivating for my current goals.

Yalies are the brightest students have a diverse personality. Although I may not have scored high on my SATs, my outgoing personality helps me thrive by encouraging the flow of ideas and making those ever so important personal connections. I am also very proud of being curious: I like to absorb as much knowledge as possible and the best way to do so is getting involved in various activities. As a student at Yale, I would confidently reflect school spirit by attending events like the football games and joining organizations such as the Hunger and Homelessness Action Project to carry on my enjoyment of volunteerism. At Yale, I will refine my character through the engaging residential college system and hone my abilities amidst the talented professors to adapt to the ever changing world.

With my academic potential and idiosyncratic energy, I believe I would be a very amazing addition to Yale. Not only will I benefit, but I believe the application of my ideas and knowledge can be a crucial contribution to the sustainability of society. I expect to give back to the community because Yale's holistic liberal arts experience would be the perfect college adventure for me to continue to grow on.

493 words

Tips & example suggestions? :)
calvinhmw 9 / 21  
...when I found a fascination was fascinated with the skyscrapers that towered my neighborhood.

...I see Yale's resources as an extension of everything I stand for

I want to broaden themy innovative ideas that are already exemplified by Yalies,...

Yalies are the brightest students who have a diverse personality.

my outgoing personality helps me thrive by encouraging the flow of ideas,andmaking those ever so important personal connections.making those personal connections so important.

As a student at Yale, I would confidently reflect school spirit by attending events like the football games and joining organizations such as the Hunger and Homelessness Action Project to carry on my enjoyment of volunteerism.; with my enjoyment of volunteerism, I will also join organizations such as the Hunger and Homelessness Action Project to carry on .

...amidst the talented professors to adapt myself to the ever changing world.

...Not only will I benefitflourish ,

These are just my personal advice. Some sentences are too long so I tried to shorten them. Your essay is great actually.
jpc34 1 / 7  
i believe the why yale essay is supposed to be 500 characters, not 500 words...
OP tonglil 3 / 8  
Oh crap, @jpc34 you are right and I just noticed that, dang it!

Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for those changes you made @calvinhmw.

Home / Undergraduate / Things I Want to Accomplish in the Next 4 Years - Why Yale