"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done"

amounenaitlho 7 / 12 3  
Brandeis Supplement Essay (250 words or fewer) number 2

Here is my essay on

Justice Brandeis said, 'Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.' Tell us how you would implement change in society that others might think impossible.

In Morocco, my home country, people think that the system is too corrupt and is impossible to change. The wide majority of people have given up on politics and the voting process which is why the voter turnout is 45 percent as opposed to the 85 percent that was present in the 1970s. My society believes that all the politicians in Morocco are there for their own personal gain. While many politicians are corrupt, there are many who are actually trying to help the country. The reason that many politicians are corrupt is because many people don't participate in the voting process and therefore these politicians can buy their way into their desired positions. I want to change this mindset in my fellow Moroccan citizens. After my studies, I want to come back to Morocco and implement these changes. The main barrier to having political activism is education. Education has been historically correlated to democracy and political activism in a country. Unfortunately, Morocco is not a very educated country with a literacy rate of 67 percent. When I come back from my studies, the first thing that I would want to change in the society is the education. Our education is horrible with national high school dropout rates at a record high. My society does not believe that these changes can be implemented and to have a democratic and proper elections and government. I believe that these changes can and will be implemented.
collegebound200 1 / 3  
The wide majority of people..

It's interesting and probably different from what other people have written. I know it's hard to write a lot in 250 words but I'd say you focus more on what YOU personally would do instead of all of the facts you are giving about Morocco.
OP amounenaitlho 7 / 12 3  
Hey thanks for the response. Do you think its a bit too cliche and common? Ireally need help with this supplement!
El, you need to be more specific in your essay. How do you plan to begin implementing changes in your country with regards to the educational system considering that you will only be a fresh graduate yourself? Is the change in your educational system something that has been declared impossible to do in your country by others before you? Why did you choose to change the educational system in particular and why you do you think you will succeed where others have failed? Those are the topics that you should discuss in your response instead of discussing voter turnout problems and its related problems.

Think of the essay along these lines; people said it would be impossible to fly until the Wright Brothers successfully flew. People said distance communication was impossible until Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone. People could only dream of a combined computer, cellphone, and camera until Steve Jobs invented the Iphone. Those are the "declared impossible before they were done" topics that could be relevant to this prompt had the inventors been an applicant to this university. So you have to think along the same lines in order to deliver a similarly interesting response.
OP amounenaitlho 7 / 12 3  
Thank you very much @vangiespen I thought long and gard about this topic and I changed. You are absolutely right about the topic that is why i changed the prompt but kept a similar essay. Can you please check it out. i changed the prompt to what is your dream

What is your dream 250 words or fewer

In Morocco, my home country, people think that the system is too corrupt and is impossible to change. The wide majority of people have given up on politics and the voting process which is why the voter turnout is 45 percent as opposed to the 85 percent that was present in the 1970s. My society believes that all the politicians in Morocco are there for their own gain. While many politicians are corrupt, there are many who are actually trying to help the country. The reason that many politicians are corrupt is because many people don't participate in voting processes and therefore these politicians can buy their way into their desired positions. My dream is to change this mindset in my fellow Moroccan citizens. After my studies, I want to come back to Morocco and implement these changes. The main barrier to having political activism is education. Education has been historically correlated to democracy and political activism in a country. Unfortunately, Morocco is not a very educated country with a literacy rate of 67 percent. When I come back from my studies, the first thing that I would want to change in the society is the education. Our education is horrible with national high school dropout rates at a record high. My society does not believe that these changes can be implemented to have a democratic government and proper elections. I believe that with an education from Brandeis I will be able to accomplish my dreams and implement such changes.

Home / Undergraduate / "Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done"