"Third Cultural Kid" - essay for major admission

uniessay 1 / 4  
Hey everyone,

I have just completed my rough draft for my personal essay prompt for my school.

It is for economics major admission.

Grammar is my serious concern and if you could find any error, please tell me anything about it.

Any comment or correction would be helpful..

Thank you!

Here is my prompt

One-page personal statement, typed and double-spaced, responding to the following questions: What are your personal/educational goals, and how do you expect those goals to bemet through an economics major? What background do you bring to the program? Describe any special circumstance that would contribute to your studies in the field.

A personal statement explaining your interest in the Economics major. What are your personal, educational, and/or career goals, and how do you expect to further these goals by studying economics? You may use this statement to address elements of your application that you believe misrepresent your potential as a student. Statements should be limited to 1 typed page, double-spaced with 12 point font and 1" margins.

I was first introduced to the term "Third Cultural Kid" in my eighth grade Mandarin class as my teacher was explaining how learning a second/third language is important for students like me. This was the moment I found out that I'm was TCK, who was born in South Korea, but spent most of my growing years in Singapore. Since the day I left my home country, I felt lonely and misplaced. However as the time passed, I became good at adapting to new environments and making friends regardless of their nationality and cultures. By studying and living in the city where people from different cultures gather, I have managed to suppress my fear and erased the thoughts of "difference" The most significant experience in my life has not been a single event, but all those years that I have spent in Singapore where I have overcome cultural barriers and created my own culture.

My professional goal is to pursue a career in Economics and International Studies. In the future, I want to work for an international organization involved in global economic development and relations. My interest in different cultures and how other countries function developed when I lived overseas. Since I have already had a unique opportunity to experience and study in the global learning atmosphere, the major that I want to pursue at University of Illinois is Economics. Although I have recently been introduced to this field of study, I realize the importance of obtaining theoretical and practical knowledge of Economics to reach my goal. I certainly will take advantage of not only the courses, but also the professors and all the vast amount of resources provided to acquire the learning and skills necessary for a successful career. Also The Certificate in International Economics offers exactly what I need in order to combine my interests in Economics and in International Studies to learn about the Economics systems throughout the world. The undergraduate Economics program offered by the University of Illinois makes me feel certain that this is the ideal place where I want to explore my interests and build up an essential foundation for my future career.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I was first introduced to the term "Third Cultural Kid" in my eighth grade Mandarin class.asM y teacher was explaining how important it is for students like me to learn a second or third language.learning a second/third language is important for students like me. This was the moment I found out that I was a TCK, who was born in South Korea, but spent most of my growing years in Singapore. Since the day I left my home country, I felt lonely and misplaced. However, as the time passed, I became good atlearned to adapt to new environments and make friends regardless of their nationality and cultures. By studying and living in thea multicultural city,where people from different cultures gather, I have managed to suppress my fear and erase the thoughts of "difference." The most significant experience in my life has not been a single event, but all those years that I have spent in Singapore, where I haveovercame cultural barriers and created my own culture.(identity?)

When I lived overseas, I developed anMy interest in different cultures and how other countries function.developed when I lived overseas.

Also,the Certificate in International Economics offers exactly what I need in order to combine my interests in Economics and in International Studies to learn about the Economics systems throughout the world. (you may want to re-word this sentence)

The undergraduate Economics program offered by the University of Illinois makes me feel certain that this is the ideal place where I want to explore my interests and build up an essential foundation for my future career.
OP uniessay 1 / 4  
Jenny, Thank you so much for your help with grammar errors. Do you have any comments or suggestions for me?

Home / Undergraduate / "Third Cultural Kid" - essay for major admission