"Three reasons"----Why Harvey Mudd College Essay

iamyangfan930 1 / 2  
Prompt: What influenced you to apply to Harvey Mudd College? What about the HMC curriculum and community appeals to you? (500 word limit)

(I am an international student, so my English writing is not so good. Please be brutally honest with my essay. Thanks a lot if you can point out my grammar mistakes. )

Once I thought that I had just fallen in love with this school, Harvey Mudd College, as guided by an unknown force and led by my intuition. But as a follower of science and logic, I need concrete reasons to analyze my impulse and thus prove it as very rational. After long time reflecting and school research, I came up with three reasons.

First of all, Harvey Mudd is exceptionally good in mathematics, and math is right my major interest. I consider mathematics as one of my life-long pursuits because it always excites me and brings me big surprise. Nothing is more elegant than the beauty of math, the classical theories, perfect equations and unique imagination. To me, doing math problems is an enjoyment, like listening a violin concert. I cannot resist this kind of mathematical temptation. In the long run, the jobs I intend to do need strong mathematical ability. Thus it is important for me to get a demanding math education in undergraduate school. What's more, Harvey Mudd, as a liberal arts college, has absolute advantages such as high student-faculty ratios and students' full use of labs and other facilities.

The second reason is that I like to challenge myself. According to an authoritative ranking, Harvey Mudd is one of the most stressful schools nationwide. This is just what I am looking for. I need fresh ideas, profound impact and most important, challenges in my life. I cannot bear that if I could foresee my life in one year. This is boring. While in Harvey Mudd, I can never tell what I will be next month, next week or even next morning. The rigorous courses and excellent professors and peers enable me to take myself out of the comfort zone and put my limit. It's said that Harvey Mudd students have to throw their pillows away because too much work to be done. I am just a night owl who will fit in perfectly in this school.

The last but not least reason that I eagerly want to study in Harvey Mudd is its liberal environment. As one of my friends and now a current student in Harvey Mudd told me, professors and students have a very intimate but also respectful interaction. Not only professors often give super difficult questions in class, but also students can push the professors to challenge them. As I know more about Harvey Mudd, the stereotype of a traditional pedantic school broke into pieces. I used to think the students in Harvey Mudd are rather nerdy, but I am totally wrong. There are students who excel in both science and humanities. Besides its commitment to math, science and engineering, Harvey Mudd also has diverse curriculum about literature, philosophy and music.

Harvey Mudd is my top choice because my love of mathematics and challenges make me ready to be involved in this demanding school. I really look forward to the liberal environment there and hope to join the energetic student life in Harvey Mudd.

word count=500
Daybreak 3 / 32  
as guided by an unknown force and led by my intuition.

Choose one! If you know it's intuition guiding you, the force is no longer unknown (I know you might mean two separate forces, but it doesn't really come off that way.)
OP iamyangfan930 1 / 2  
Daybreak:

thanks for your advice, i will change this sentence
Daybreak 3 / 32  
I could not bear to foresee my life in one year. Predictable things can be boring.

However, I won't have to worry about any of this in Harvey Mudd, where I would never be able to tell what I will be (doing?) next month, next week or even next morning.

The rigorous courses and excellent professors and peers (will?) enable me to take myself out of my comfort zone and reach for my limit.

It's said that Harvey Mudd students have to throw their pillows away because with so much work to be done, there is no time for sleep . I am just anothernight owl who will fit in perfectly in this school.

Home / Undergraduate / "Three reasons"----Why Harvey Mudd College Essay