The three strengths' effects on me (Vires, Artes, Mores) - FSU Essay

yeahhbriannax3 1 / 1  
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

Here is my essay, I wanted to have it double checked and see if there are any improvements I could make!

When I read about the three Latin words that are the guiding philosophy of Florida State, the one that jumped out at me was "Vires", which signifies moral, intellectual, and physical strength. I feel that these are the values most reflected in my life.

Moral strength is something that can be hard to come across these days. Reading about the murderers and rapists in the newspaper makes it appear that the majority of our population has no morals. The way I was brought up, in a loving family, I was taught the value of good morals and knowing what is right and wrong. There are times when I have been put into situations and had to get out of them, because I had a gut feeling that it just wasn't right. There have also been times where there has been plenty of peer pressure to go against my morals and go along with the crowd, but one of my strengths has been staying strong to my beliefs. I believe that being able to make decisions based on good morals is an extremely valuable characteristic that I've been able to achieve.

Intellectual strength in my life is what has gotten me this far, and it has allowed me to be qualified to apply to a dignified Florida school such as this one. Ever since I was in elementary school, good grades came somewhat naturally to me. I've been blessed with the ability to do well in almost every intellectual challenge I've been faced with in my life. This quality is incredibly valuable because I am able to think through any problems I have and come up with logical solutions.

Physical strength comes into play in my life as well. Since I was about nine years old, I've played soccer and absolutely loved it. I wouldn't be able to play without any physical strength. Soccer has been a huge benefit to my life; it brought countless friends and it allowed me to experience teamwork, an important part of life. Without being able to work with others, career choices are limited. From experience playing soccer, I've learned that you must learn to trust other people, and have them trust you so you can work together to achieve a goal.

Without moral and intellectual strength, there is no way I would be the same person today. They are so important in life that I don't know how anyone could get by without them. Morals determine a person's character, and if you have no morals and no concern for right or wrong, then it's highly unlikely that you'll get as far in life as a person who cares about those around them. Without intellectual strength, there is no way to grow and evolve as a person. Physical strength has helped me be able to overcome obstacles and face challenges that I wouldn't have been able to before. The three strengths have all contributed greatly to the person I am today, in a infinitely positive way.
mea505 - / 265  
Hi Brianna,

In the following sentence, Reading about the murderers and rapists in the newspaper makes it appear that the majority of our population has no morals.

--> I read this twice, just to make sure that you said what I thought you did. Do you actually think that a story about a murderer or a rapist provides a representative "slice" of the entire population? How can one rely on one or two stories from the newspaper or the newscasters on television to give us an idea as to the morality of society? I am merely playing Devil's Advocate here, but I wanted to bring up the points because the sentence, by and of itself, does not make sense to me.

I am offering you some corrections with respect to a few sentences in your essay. There were some subject/verb disagreements that needed attention. I have seen other essays of this same topic, Brianna, and most of them have been a little bit longer, more involved, just to let you know.

There arewere times when I have been put into situations and had to get out of them, because I had a gut feeling that it just wasn't rightthey just weren't right .

Intellectual strength in my life is what has gotten me this far, and it has allowed me to be qualified to apply to a dignified Florida school such as this oneFlorida State University.

Mark :)
OP yeahhbriannax3 1 / 1  
Thank you! But about the length, it said that the essay should be 500 words max, and mine is just about 500 so I couldn't make it any longer

Home / Undergraduate / The three strengths' effects on me (Vires, Artes, Mores) - FSU Essay