tiresome research presentations - CALTECH

mofo120 1 / 2  
Members of the Caltech community live, learn, and work within an Honor System with one simple guideline, 'No member shall take unfair advantage of any other member of the Caltech community.' While seemingly simple, questions of ethics, honesty, and integrity are sometimes challenging. Share an ethical dilemma that challenged you. What did you do? (Please limit your response to 1500 characters or less)

could you please blast my essay, also tell me if this is a valid ethical dilemma. thanks soo much!

It was the fourth day of tiresome research presentations at the international science fair. My throat was sour, and I wanted to see more of Japan than just its trendy labs and fancy lecture halls. So two friends and I decided to visit the Kyoto Tower Hotel; an attempt to get away from the banalities of our campus dorms. After all, the hotel gave a bird's-eye view of all those fascinating alleys and streets that defined this ancient city.

As we headed for the hotel's elevator, we were greeted by a ticketing machine. It had many pricing options; notably 300 yen for primary school students and 1000 yen for high school students. We all chose the former. I personally was cash strapped, and saving 700 yen would have been a godsend, considering I wanted to buy some 'Macha' Japanese tea Mum asked for.

But as we entered the elevator, we suddenly encountered a smiling lift operator. She beckoned us for the tickets. Hesitantly, I gave her mine, expecting a rude expulsion or a call to the management. Instead, she gave a confused glance at my face, examined the ticket again, and finally declared with a bow: "Arigato Gozaimasu!" (Thank you)

As the lift climbed to the 34th floor, we stood beside her, our unshaven beards and 6-foot-tall statures clearly betraying the appearance of 10 year olds. And yet she never questioned the legitimacy of our actions. I personally felt extremely uncomfortable.

Mum loved the Macha I eventually bought her. But sometimes, I wonder if that was worth the trust, unknowingly or not, that lift operator had on me.
ore4thebetter 5 / 14  
This is a very go essay ,a few suggestions
'So two friends and I decided ' ...I would suggest So I and my two friends, (This is more progressive)...
Also 'a smiling lift operator' should be changed..it seems the smiling is qualifying the lift and not the operator
using 'beckoned us for our tickets'...sounds to bombastic...im not sure thats the appropriate use
Other than that I like the fact you were honest.In my opinion,it is a valid ethical dilemma
OP mofo120 1 / 2  
hey Thanks for the reply! I shall make the edits after a few more suggestions =D
OP mofo120 1 / 2  
ok thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / tiresome research presentations - CALTECH