'Never told to clean my room' - Major: Mechanical Engineering

mechejunker 1 / -  
Prompt #2 Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

My parents have never told me to clean my room. Ever since the summer after kindergarten, I would sweep, dust, and vacuum my room. Even at a young age, I felt that cleaning my room was my own responsibility, not my parents'. As time progressed, I also organized my things when cleaning up - I would have a pen box that separated blues, blacks, and other assorted colors. My closet would have clothes lined up from sweaters to hoodies to dress shirts, and my bookshelf would be arranged with fiction on one shelf, and nonfiction on another. Every single time I cleaned my room, I could sleep easy - everything was spotless, and I knew where everything was. Even at a young age, I felt that organization and tidiness would open more doors for me.

Although my organization sprouted from cleaning my room, it also grew into many areas of my life. Because everything in my room is so organized, I felt the urge to also clean up my backpack. Every section in my bag has a different section - the top pocket is for binders and textbooks, the smaller bag is for folders and papers, and the small little pouch was for my pens and pencils. When I was on a field trip in the first grade, our class went to a water park. At the end of the day, when I had to pack all my things, I heard one of the chaperones saying, "Woah! That kid actually dries and then folds his clothes! I don't even do that!" Although I didn't say it aloud, I knew that drying my clothes would prevent stench, and folding my clothes would make looking for things in my backpack a lot easier. Even though my clothes may still be a bit wet, I would've contained the dampness in a small area, which would be easier for me to wash that evening.

Another benefit of my organization is that time is more plentiful. For example, whenever my family decides to go out to dinner or to see our relatives, there is a huge gap of time between declaring our leave and actually leaving the house. This phenomenon occurs because it takes the other members of my family around twenty minutes to find an outfit. Being the organized child in the house, I am able to leave within two minutes - I know where each article of clothing is. With my extra time, I usually pack water for my family or make some snacks for them.

My knack for keeping things tidy radiates who I am. This first household chore led me to take responsibility for other actions. I always know where things are, which shows that I am always well prepared. With my preparedness, I feel that extra time is my consequence, and with that extra time, I have more time in my day.

this essay was written pretty sloppily, so help would be very much appreciated!
does it tell you about the type of person i am?
thanx!
beccalevesque - / 45  
I think this does tell what kind of person you are. You are definitely describing a personal quality. It says to me that you are organized and detail oriented and how that helps you on a daily basis and that puts you ahead of the game. pretty smart. i wish i could get my 7 year old to clean her room without being told. :)
abhip712 2 / 3  
The essay reflects the true "you".U have written it lucidly yet it is inclusive of indepth details.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Never told to clean my room' - Major: Mechanical Engineering