I've been told that I'll never make it... Fashion Institute of Technology admissions essay

Imanijo 1 / -  

career in the fashion

Countless times I've been told that I'll never make it, that putting my all into a career in fashion is too much of a risk. Many people would say that finding good work in the fashion industry is unrealistic. At one point in my life, I began to believe my doubters. Making everyone happy but myself, I began to pursue dentistry. For those two years, I realized that this was not my destiny. I know that fashion is where my heart is. They say that if you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours forever.

Growing up, my parents weren't the wealthiest so high end clothing was not common in my household. I wasn't exposed to expensive designers or anything fashion related for that matter; it's just something I naturally gravitated to. In school, I was extremely quiet. I used fashion as a way of expression and a way to individualize myself from others. It was like my own universal language to communicate with my peers. I was known as the trendsetter without saying a word. When it comes to fashion I am far more than passionate about it. It is my life. Living in Cleveland, this isn't a haven for fashion. Here we aren't overflowing with opportunities as compared to New York, so I have to create those opportunities for myself. Whether I'm curating pop up shops to showcase local designers or collaborating on small capsule collections, I am always working to make fashion prevalent in my city. Being driven and motivated by the people that have doubted me I will stop at nothing to manifest my dreams. I work hard not to let where I come from define me but to allow it to be a driving force in my success.

Fashion business management compiles all of my interests into one. I love the fact that one person can oversee the design and manufacturing process, create relationships with designers, producers and retailers, predict current and future trends, and create strategies for marketing and retail promotions all while still remaining behind the scenes. Incorporating the business world with the fashion world, I think, makes the fashion industry blossom even more. In this program, I love how I would get the opportunity to combine my innovation and critical thinking skills. I truly believe that an education at FIT will take me far in a fashion career and also in life. I know that studying at the Fashion Institute of Technology, a world renowned school, my knowledge will only increase. With the amazing staff and professors teaching me along the way I am confident that I will be able to go out into the world and find a career doing what I love. FIT is a place where I can feel home. Surrounded by other motivated and competitive students I can express my creativity and originality in ways that I have not been able to. I am ready to feed off of their energy, and the hustle of New York City.

Given my unique background and experiences, I think I would be the perfect candidate for FIT. I not only have more than a love for fashion but I am equipped with a strong skillset in business. I believe that the meticulous curriculum will help me sharpen my talents and focus strictly on the information I need to conquer the fashion industry. FIT offers many incomparable resources and opportunities. With those provided, I know I can be a force to be reckoned with as I work to make a name in the fashion industry. If given the opportunity to attend FIT as a student, I know that I would excel.

I will stop at nothing to reach the goals that I have set for myself. I have a determination to make things happen for myself and FIT is the first step. Sometimes I wish I had pursued my dream early on in life, but I do not take the path it took me to get here for granted. Day after day I work hard to find who I truly am and I know now, more than ever, that this is my destiny; and I could not imagine doing it anywhere else.
Imani, the personal statement for FIT always has one pivotal requirement that your essay currently underrepresents, that of your experience in fashion business management. The related work experience or internship will always help to enhance your application. Since you already told the reviewer that you have experience in mounting pop up fashion shows as well as showcasing local designers, you already indicated that you have the relevant work experience. You need to be detailed in that respect. Highlight the fashion management that you had to implement in those scenarios. Problem solving using management skills would be the best example to use. As such, it will become clear to the reviewer that you truly have the qualification to be the perfect FIT candidate. Your essay is already good but requires more substance in order to strengthen your claims of related experience. If you write a paragraph or two based upon my suggestion, you will be able to accomplish that.

Home / Undergraduate / I've been told that I'll never make it... Fashion Institute of Technology admissions essay