'Tone, Audience, and Purpose' - Favorite Class (Columbia Supplement)

Eigenvector 4 / 11  
 
The stereotype is the same the world over: the seemingly draconian English teacher with a heart of gold and a passion for setting somewhat strange assignments on even stranger works of literature. For me however, this archetype came to life in the form of Ms. Wheatley and her infamous AP English Language & Composition class. As I had been hearing for years that this would be the most brutal English class I would take at Wheeler, I entered the classroom on the first day with an understandable sense of trepidation. Within days however, AP Language and I were becoming fast friends. The friendly jibes and challenges handed out daily by Ms. Wheatley, led to me soon realizing that I was starting to actually enjoy the nightly homework. During classroom time, formal lectures were rare as classes were typically structured around lively discussions of the book we were devouring at the time. To say that these discussions were lively would be quite an understatement. With a few prods from Ms. Wheatley, a lifeless discussion would rapidly evolve into a heated debate about the mental state of a character that brought the book to life.

Since taking AP Language, I find myself routinely TAPping whatever I am reading, that is to say, analyzing the Tone, Audience, and Purpose of the work. As we were constantly reminded in class to TAP whatever it was we were reading, I find that now I read everything more analytically, and as a result, get more out of literature.

Any critiques, major or minor, greatly appreciated. Thanks & Good luck!
kimisizer 6 / 16  
I think this is a creative essay and shows your passion for the class. I enjoyed the part about TAP as I had never heard it before. The only thing I would change is "lively discussions of the book we were delving into? at the time". Devouring makes it sound like you're actually consuming it lol.
sagerfrog 3 / 7  
The friendly jibes and challenges handed out daily by Ms. Wheatley (no comma) led to me soon realizing (change! it did not lead to it -- it preceded it. "belied my slowly evolving recognition") that I was starting to actually enjoy the nightly homework.
OP Eigenvector 4 / 11  
Awesome, thank you. I was going for a very physical description with devouring, but thank you.

@sagerfrog, Thanks, that helps a lot, I hadn't realized the errors there.

Revised:
The stereotype is the same the world over: the seemingly draconian English teacher with a heart of gold and a passion for setting somewhat strange assignments on even stranger works of literature. For me however, this archetype came to life in the form of Ms. Wheatley and her infamous AP English Language & Composition class. As I had been hearing for years that this would be the most brutal English class I would take at Wheeler, I entered the classroom on the first day with an understandable sense of trepidation. Within days however, AP Language and I were becoming fast friends. The friendly jibes and challenges handed out daily by Ms. Wheatley preceded my realization that I was starting to actually enjoy the nightly homework. During classroom time, formal lectures were rare as classes were typically structured around lively discussions of the book we were devouring at the time. To say that these discussions were lively would be quite an understatement. With a few prods from Ms. Wheatley, a lifeless discussion would rapidly evolve into a heated debate about the mental state of a character that brought the book to life.

stressedout 2 / 2  
I like your tone in your essay because it clearly shows your passion for this class. you pointed out how it was stereotypical and this made me more aware that your essay is pretty stereotypical. maybe take that part out or add something that will set it apart from other "favorite class" essays?
karissa_a16 4 / 94  
There's some repetitive words and expressions in there. I get what you mean about a scary English teacher because mine was the same way! Please read my NYU one. Thanks! :D
tehfunkicookie 19 / 50  
Hey Eigenvector!

I really loved reading your essay, and sorry, I really hate AP Lit (if thats Langugage). =(!

I think the personality and your own thoughts and emotions make this essay really enjoyable to read. The beginning is very catchy too :P. The relationship between you and AP language, I think makes your essay really funny but weird at the same time. but thats just me :P

Good job! I'm applying to Columbia too!

Good luck =)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Tone, Audience, and Purpose' - Favorite Class (Columbia Supplement)