Which topic should I choose? UW Application

jndoty 1 / 1  
Describe an experience of cultural difference, positive or negative, you have had or observed. What did you learn from it?

So i have 2 ideas on what to write about. I haven't really had much culture shock type experiences so these are the best I have:

1. I recently visited my Korean friend's Korean church. I am not religious at all and I am also just a typical american girl. Everyone there spoke Korean except for the kids and a few adults, the food was different, and I learned about God and the bible, two things I do not normally associate myself with.

2. My family has never had much money, so I feel bad asking for things or for money to go and do things. I don't get an allowance because my mom can't afford to pay me regularly. We aren't incredibly poor, we always have food on the table and stuff like that. I have a friend who is very rich. she can and does ask for anything she wants. She gets 100 dollars a month and basically gets anything she wants. She told me her dad offered her $100 to memorize all the presidents in order and she turned him down because she didn't think it was worth it. she goes to concerts all the time, she has a huge house. she has an ipod, and $1000 camera. and she has no idea how fortunate she is. shes a good person and doesn't rub it in my face or anything, these are just things i've noticed throughout the years of being friends with her and it all leaves me flabbergasted.
rockingthesea 3 / 13 1  
Personally, if you had to choose between the 2 topics that you came up with, i would advise that you pick the first one. the second one is not much of a "cultural" experience. if you really cannot generate an appropriate topic, maybe try tweaking somethings to make it suitable for the topic. btw, im also applying to UW! :)
OP jndoty 1 / 1  
ok thanks! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Which topic should I choose? UW Application