Which topic for college essay would be more likely to succeed?

Indigga 1 / 2  
1. My personal story about chess.
2. How committed i am to stuff i do like school activities. (this topic will also show how my grades are not that great because i have committed to so many activities.

Any suggestions to combine both? Like maybe how committed i am to chess, no?

THANKS
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  

Don't try to explain your grades away. It's not necessarily true that your grades are bad because of exracurriculars anyway. It's not all about time management. You should've have your priorities straight in the first place.

If you can tell your chess story vividly then that will be your best bet.
Yeah, if you need to explain poor grades, dedicate an essay to that purpose. Don't dilute another essay meant to focus on something good about yourself with it. Focusing on a specific activity in detail, such as chess, is probably better than just listing off a bunch of activities, especially as you probably get to do that elsewhere on your application anyway.
tal105 7 / 130  
chess should be pretty unique.
go with that :)
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I join the chorus of voices encouraging you to choose chess. If you need to find a way to explain your grades, slip that in elsewhere or as an addendum.
OP Indigga 1 / 2  
Well the commitment essay was mostly going to explain my grades because i joined so many activities that i had to commit to all of them and that took most of my time away from shool work.
tal105 7 / 130  
^^ admissions ple would look at this as either "we have SEVERAL people who join clubs and keep their grades up"

OR

"you need to get your priorities straight, next time, dont join so much s*it"

yeaa, more and more, chess seems like the ideal one. im just reinforcing this. :P

good luck!! be confident!
OP Indigga 1 / 2  
Chess it is then!

OH and i can also give them a little clue of how committed i am by talking about how i have wanted to make it to one of the top chess player ever since i was 4 years old and i am still following my words. Would this be a good idea?
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  

Woah there Talia haha...

Indigga, you can include that but word it differently.
I hope that you post what you come up with.
tal105 7 / 130  
sorry for the provacative-ness :[

^^ yea! this will be great. itll show that it is a commitment. ive read somewhere that its always great to show commitment or passion in something. to not just say, "i volunteer here and i neveer will volunteer again" but if you want to continue your sport of chess, this is good b.c. it shows that its not just a one time thing or something.

i think is gonna be good :]

Home / Undergraduate / Which topic for college essay would be more likely to succeed?