Essay topic -Colonization,Conquest, Commerce,Civilization,Christianity

NINZ 1 / 1  
I'm not sure with the Essay Topic.

" Identify and critically discuss three factors that have led to the emergence of English as the global language"

What should that 3 factors be?
Are they Colonization, Conquest,Commerce, Civilization,Christianity?
How could I put it in the order into my Essay?

Thank you
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

All of those factors seem appropriate, but the first three might be the best, if I had to choose. In terms of history, conquest came first, followed by colonization and commerce. It might work best to discuss it as an historical progession.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP NINZ 1 / 1  
Thats very helpful^^ Thank you so much

I was thinking of the structure and the information that I will put in each 3 of these factors,
however I still don't know what should I put for
1) Conquest
How conquesr have led to the emergence of English as the global language?

2) Colonization

3) Commerce
-education?
- Technology?
- Business?

Thank you ^^
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

If you look back through European history, you see one wave of conquerors coming in, say, to Britain, and changing the language, followed by another, and another. This succession of conquests allowed the English language to evolve, so that gives you an opportunity to write about its emergence through history. You would essentially do the same thing with colonization. Certainly, the U.S. owes its English to both conquest and colonization. (We could've ended up speaking French or Spanish.) Commerce is perhaps most responsible for its worldwise expansion across the globe. Places that never saw Vikings or the British fleet nonetheless use English a lot these days to conduct business -- not exclusively, of course, but companies need to have that capability in order to thrive in a global marketplace.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / Essay topic -Colonization,Conquest, Commerce,Civilization,Christianity