trait or characteristic / activity engage - NYU SUPPLEMENT

misti915 3 / -  
EACH 500 CHARACTERS

1) Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself. [447/500]

A social butterfly is what others would describe me as. I acquired being "affable" from my mother, who loved to mingle with others, introduce herself to new people, etc. Like my mother, I love to socialize with others. Whether it is a party or a formal occasion, I always engage myself in people's conversations. I like this aspect of myself because it distinguishes myself from others. I like being loud and talkative because it defines who i am.

2)New York City is an essential element of academic and cultural life at NYU. If you could engage in an activity or start a club or service organization at NYU, what would it be and how would you envision it impacting the larger community? [472/500]

Poverty has been a significant issue in today's society. If given the opportunity to improve it, I would attempt to eradicate this problem. With the US economy in a financial crisis, the issue has unfortunately increased. To help diminish this problem, we must convince everybody to volunteer and nip the problem from its roots. We can do this by giving shelter to the needy and have can drives, soup drives to homeless centers. This way, we can help to diminish poverty.

3) You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why? [466/500]
"Promise of a Lifetime" by Kutless is the song i would perform in a talent show. I find the song title to be very attractive because it gives me a sense of peace and satisfaction. The song starts out with the piano as the accompaniment followed by the soloist. Beautiful in its melody and words, the song conveys how one falls from grace and looks upon God as its ultimate saviour. I can relate to this because whenever I feel frustrated or depressed, I pray to God.

4) Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline. [341/500]

As a child, I had two goals that I want to accomplish in life. One, to become a renowned singer and two, to be a doctor. Choosing College of Arts & Sciences, enables me to not only focus in majoring in medicine but also, to continue pursuing my passion. This would be a perfect academic program for me, but it offers the best of both worlds.
pandaphonics - / 1  
1) first sentence is passive. why is affable in quotes? take out the etc. "I always engage myself in people's conversations. " i am always engaged in; a lot of other people are talkative and outgoing as well. i don't know how distinguishing it is.

2) any better, less usual ways to do this?

3) beautiful in both its' melody and lyrics, ...song conveys looking upon god as one's ultimate savior after one's fall from grace.

4) as it offers the best of both worlds. not but.
Linnus 6 / 89  
For number 2, focus on a club or organization and tell what you do with it. Instead of saying what you will do, tell HOW you will do it. For instance instead of saying "We can do this by giving shelter to the needy and have can drives, soup drives to homeless centers" talk about fundraisers etc.

"others, introduce herself to new people, etc."
Etc is too informal.

Also, are you sure that NYU doesn't have similar club?

"song i would perform in a talent show"
"I" should be capitalized (obviously).

You should make #4 longer.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / trait or characteristic / activity engage - NYU SUPPLEMENT