Personal Essay Transfer Admissions Essay. Allegheny College

hellokitty930 3 / 8  
Thank you so much in advance. I am unsure of what to be writing about for my Personal Essay portion of the Common Application. If all the colleges/univ. are going to be seeing this essay then I should not be specific? I'm somewhat confused, but here it is.

Applying to: Allegheny College, Loyola Marymount University, Boston University, Fordham University, Drexel University, Northeastern University.

Prompt
:
Please provide a statement (250 words minimum) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.

I began my studies at College of the Canyons with intentions of transferring to a four year institution. While others agonized about being 'stuck' at a junior college, well I, 'I took the road less traveled by.' Now that I have finally completed my personal goal to incorporate a quote from Robert Frost, I can elaborate on what this 'road' was. In my perspective, by taking the junior college route, I was given the opportunity to take a good look at myself and figure out what truly inspires me as an individual. I knew that in the end of my college career, I was planning to apply to law school in California, but spent two semesters reaching a sound decision as to what I would be majoring in. At this point in my college career, I am confident with the declaration as a Sociology major! By majoring in Sociology I am confident that I will be well prepared for law school. Also, I have set myself the goal to minor in both Spanish and Music.

Through my courses in Spanish I am now able to communicate with my co-workers, and able to comprehend and speak Spanish more fluently. The gift of communication is priceless. Spanish will be useful towards my ultimate goal of becoming an immigration lawyer. As for my choice to minor in Music, I came to realize that playing the piano which is a large component of my interests could not be denied. I am an enthusiast of both making and listening to various genres of music. By minoring in Music I aspire to become a better pianist, as well as increasing my knowledge in music theory. I am extremely motivated to pursue these educational goals by transferring to a four year institution.

By the end of my college career I hope to emerge as a highly educated, well rounded individual who is dedicated to their work and service of others.
Now that I have finally completed my personal goal to incorporate a quote from Robert Frost, I can elaborate on what this 'road' was.

You don't want to do this. Reflecting on the writing process as you are writing isn't really appropriate for these sorts of essays, where you have limited space to begin with.

Also, I'd talk less about the minor, possibly not mentioning it at all, and focus more on explaining how you expect majoring in sociology to prepare you for law school, which seems like a much more interesting topic.
OP hellokitty930 3 / 8  
Thank you so much for the advice. =)

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Essay Transfer Admissions Essay. Allegheny College