UC Prompt 1 Transfer: Film Studies

Pscholler 2 / 3  
What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field-- such as volunteer work, internships, and employment, participation in student organizations and activities-- and what you have gained from your involvement.

This is a rough draft and I intend on editing further but I would love some positive feedback and critiquing.

My decision to major in film and media studies feels completely natural. Growing up as a shy, observant child in a small town in northern California where there was hardly anything to do, I took solace in movies. Like most children during the 90s, I grew up watching Disney movies, with their fantasy storylines and somewhat docile nature, but unlike most kids I was curious as to how these films were being made and who was creating them.

In 1997, when I was seven years old, I ventured into the theaters with my parents and my sister to view the re-mastered Star Wars: A New Hope, when the opening title-music began along with the classic scrolling text, I watched and listened in amazement, completely enthralled by what I was experiencing. This was a defining moment in my childhood. I now knew what I wanted to do when I "grew up." I had to be a part of what was occurring on the screen in order to make movies as epic as those seen and cherished by so many individuals. I knew that I wanted to create something that made other people feel the way I did as a child and still do. When watching a television program or a film, and I get goose bumps or my heart starts to race because of a particular scene, I know that I would like to be able to make the audience as emotionally connected to the characters or the plot. I began to expand my interest by watching old films and learning about how characters are developed.

I love the film and media studies major because it is an interdisciplinary study and therefore crosses traditional boundaries between academic studies. This subject is creative and requires a certain passion for sharing with an audience. I want to learn how films are formed from the "ground up" and why directors do the things they do. What I like about this major is it incorporates things like culture, diversity, and several other themes through film.

During high school I became the reporter for the Grass Valley Creek 4-H club and this began my first real experience with the media. I worked closely with the "Trinity Journal" to provide information concerning the 4-H club by writing articles concerning everything from our involvement in community service to the awards received by the individuals in the group. I later became Vice President of the club which helped me overcome much of my shyness and take on more responsibilities and a greater leadership role. My senior year I helped create the Trinity High School yearbook by helping arrange, organize, and develop the advertisement sections that sponsor the book.

Recently I started interning at a local news station, News Channel 7 KRCR-TV, to broaden my knowledge of how a local media source works and changes. This has allowed me to learn from some very talented producers and directors about what it takes on a daily basis to get current events to the public. Some of the day to day activities that I have taken part in are: selecting interviewees and staying in contact with local law enforcement and fire departments for recent updates. I have just begun to learn the editing and filming process that goes along with being a reporter. Since beginning the internship I have had to learn to think on my feet, as deadlines near; the station can get hectic, but through this experience I think I am more prepared for what lies ahead.

By transferring to a University that has a specific film studies degree program, I hope to continue building on what I learned while studying at Shasta College.
csicasiano 1 / 3  
Hello Pscholler,

Great start to a great personal statement. You can tell from reading that you are passionate about film and media. Which is a good thing because if there was no passion I'd ask why is this person even applying? So that is awesome.

I like that you went from your past experience and to your current work with the local news. I would suggest that you get more into what you do at your internship. Go into what you do on a day to day basis. Then talk about how those day to day duties has taught you alot about film and media. Try to be specific about what skills you've had to develop or use while interning. Then relate those skills to your education. How will the skills you learned help you as a film student?

Also in high school or even when you were younger, did you have any mentors or role models that helped spark your interest in film? Or were there any specific directors, actors, producers that you really liked? Why did you like them?

Hope this helps and good luck!
OP Pscholler 2 / 3  
This is what I ended up going with, and thank you for the help. I wanted to include something about James Cameron, my favorite director but I am already at 614 and still have to write Prompt 2.

SEE ABOVE
csicasiano 1 / 3  
Nice work with incorporating the things you've learned while interning. Now it clearly answers the prompt and keeps things interesting. Keep at it!

Home / Undergraduate / UC Prompt 1 Transfer: Film Studies