Transfer:"it's time to continue my undergraduate education at a place that truly suits my interests"

skazo 2 / 2  
State why you wish to leave your present college and attend Virginia Tech.

NYU vs Virginia Tech

When I chose NYU to pursue a degree in chemical engineering, I was extremely excited. I was going to live in the greatest city in the world and get a great education that stimulated me intellectually. A year and a half later, as I look back on the entire experience, it was not quite what I expected.

Academically, I do not feel like I'm learning as much as I would have liked to at NYU. Although NYU has a respectable and very rigorous engineering program, it does not compare well to the rest of NYU, and especially not to Virginia Tech's engineering program, which ranks consistently among the top programs in the country. Not only that, but Virginia Tech is among the highest spenders in engineering research in America. NYU's school of engineering is not quite as research oriented as Virginia Tech, and in order be among the best engineering schools, you need to practically implement your knowledge and improve the everyday lives of people. As a person who wants to pursue a career in the renewable energy sector, The Center for Energy and the Global Environment (CEAGE) will provide me with an opportunity to get some valuable experience in that field.

I do not regret going to NYU. My freshman and sophomore years have been an integral part of my academic journey but I feel like it's time for me to begin the second half of my undergraduate education at a place that truly suits my interests.
angeli6778 11 / 36 16  
@skazo
"it does not compare well to the rest of NYU" in what way? You should be more specific here.

"and in order be among the best engineering schools, you need to practically implement your knowledge" instead of using an abstract 'you' as the subject, use 'I' to make more of an impact and say how practical research will help you, the writer. Also, instead of talking about the ranking of the school, talk more about how its top-ranked programs can help you. For example: "I would like to attend a more research-oriented engineering school, such as Virginia Tech, where I can practically implement my classroom knowledge etc"

"As a person who wants to pursue a career in the renewable energy sector" instead of saying "As a person who wants...", say directly "I want to pursue a career...". This focuses your writing around you and your goals, and makes more of an impact on the reader.

Keep up the good work!

Home / Undergraduate / Transfer:"it's time to continue my undergraduate education at a place that truly suits my interests"