Transfer Essay to Wentworth Institute of Technology

mattrb2 1 / 1  
This is 634 words, the essay calls for 250 to 500 max. Need grammar suggestions, or ways to reduce the length. Haven't written a formal essay for a while so I need help! Thanks! (transfer essay)

Growing up, like most other kids, I would fantasize about becoming the next big thing. One day I might say I want to become the next pro-footballer and within the next week I would tell my father I will become one of the next pro-gamers or invent the next computer device. From these dreams, I began to partake in many different interests of mine, hoping to make it big. As a child I took on interests in sports such as baseball and football; in high school, I began to expand on my creative interests in singing and musical instruments, along with musical theater. However, by the time I had reached senior year, while all my friends and classmates were sure of what they wanted to do in their lives and where they wanted to attend college, I found myself stuck in a loop hole. Having so many interests in the past but none that can realistically carry me forth into my future kicked off my search for a career choice that best suits my wants and needs.

Unknowing what I wanted to pursue after achieving my diploma, I began to take some courses at my local community college. It took me awhile to settle down with another major after my first choice on theatre arts but I thought back to all the things I had done in my life and realized computers were something I have always had an interest in. My father works at IBM as a technical engineer and as a child I have always found his job fascinating. I specifically remember touring a server room with my father. I Instantly became drawn to the sight of the enormous servers and the thousands of blinking lights that came from the routers and switches. It seemed like a digital version of NYC. During the end of my second semester at Ulster, I found out about a major called computer networking. I had flashbacks of the server rooms that I had toured with my father. I knew from that point on that I wanted to build and administer these digital cities.

I came out of Ulster with an associates degree in computer networking along with a certificate from the Cisco Networking Academy. All the Cisco networking classes I took were speed courses, I had double the amount of work than most college students but I embraced it because I really enjoyed everything about the program. I feel that Ulster has taught me a lot about myself and has allowed me to take the time to figure out what I want to study.

After Ulster, I decided to attend a four year institution called SUNY Cobleskill. Unfortunately, the class offerings and environment did not suit my needs and I withdrew. After getting back into the search for another school, I believe Wentworth Institute of Technology is the best match for me. The curriculum has all the classes I am interested in along with others that will help me in my field. I appreciate the small class sizes, along with the two required semesters of co-op opportunities. The co-op program will provide me with exposure to the real world and to the diversity of different areas. Another factor that steered me towards WIT is it's location in the heart of Boston. I am really looking forward to the city life and diversity it provides.

I believe my wide array of interests along with the education I had received at Ulster County Community College makes me a prime candidate for WIT. I hope one day I will have my bachelor's degree and be able to tell my father with confidence that I am the next "big" network administrator. Wentworth Institute of Technology will provide me with the resources, understanding and experience I need to obtain this goal.
EricJ - / 48  
What is the essay question?
OP mattrb2 1 / 1  
It says: This essay or personal statement (250 to 500 words) is your chance to tell us what you would like us to know about you that grades and test scores won't necessarily reveal.

For example, you may want to tell us about the impact of an after-school job, the influence of a favorite teacher, or how you dealt with an unexpected situation.

Home / Undergraduate / Transfer Essay to Wentworth Institute of Technology