'transferring to Photography program' - you a perfect candidate for FIT?

africanking 1 / 1  
What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? We'd like you to tell us in an essay. This is your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments

My name is Minkaiu Timbo; I'm 21 years old born in Freetown, Sierra Leone raised in different parts of the Western Countries of Africa. I moved to the United States when I was 8 years old due to the civil war that was going on in my country. After moving here to the US I had realized it's a totally different atmosphere. Starting elementary school here was one of the roughest times of my life. I was the new kid at school that had a thick accent and was bullied through out my elementary school and middle school. Growing up my parents always use to say, "Don't listen to anything anyone has to say about you. Your not here for them, you're here for yourself to make us proud." I will never forget that.

While growing up here one thing that the kids didn't bully me about was my fashion sense, but that's not the reason why I'm the perfect candidate for FIT. It's more to it. I'm the prefect candidate for FIT because I'm a very passionate individual that puts his heart, passion, dedication, and hardworking into something I really want. Getting accepted to FIT will change my life. I will be one step closer to my dreams.

I'm interested in transferring to Photography program at FIT because I always had a strong passion for Photography. My freshmen year was the year I discovered my talent for art in my basic photography class. My teacher had a talk with me after class about applying to Thomas Edison High School of Technology. I was nervous about applying because I knew TEHST was a very competitive school in Montgomery Count. Thomas Edison High School of Technology is a highly acclaimed career and technology education school for students with a career talent. I got accepted to TEHST my sophomore year. It was really hard for me to adjust to attending two different schools Montgomery Blair High School and Thomas Edison High School of Technology. While attending TEHST Multi-Media program I learned Adobe Photoshop and started designing and editing pictures as a hobby. After my sophomore year I learned all of the Adobe Creative Suite programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, After Effect, Flash, and Dreamweaver. That's when I realized a had a true talent for the art media, I fell in love. On my spare time I watched tutorial videos on YouTube to enhance my skills. In addition to my junior year I was a member of the yearbook club. I had got the opportunity to take photographs for the column "What's HOT, What's NOT" I interviewed people and took pictures of all the fashionable students. I than had a chance to create the layout for the yearbook. I was horned to be apart of the yearbook committee.

My senior year was the most exciting year. TEHST helped me find an internship at Gandhi Brigade as a Graphic Designer/ Photographer. Gandhi Brigade is a non-profit organization that helps young people create multimedia for social problems in the community. While interning there I started developing my portfolio. That same year I graduated from Montgomery Blair High School and got an Honor Certificate from Thomas Edison High School of Technology. I than got accepted to the University of the District of Columbia Spring 2010 majoring in Graphic Design. While attending UDC I became a freelance Fashion Photographer for different clients and companies in the DMV area. I'm still in process of completing my Associate in Graphic Design and I'm expecting to graduate in Spring 2012.

After graduating I would like to pursuit my dreams of getting accepted at FIT and becoming a famous fashion photographer. I know FIT is the perfect place where I can develop the necessary skills to make it in this highly competitive field. I'm determined to put my heart into what I want do for the rest of my life. What I can offer to FIT is my dedication, determination, a touch of creativity that the fashion industry demands and will bring something fresh, different and unexpected. I will give my soul to succeed at FIT I hope that I get the opportunity to prove what I am capable of offering FIT.

Thanks for reading my essay, I truly appreciate it. Hope to see you Fall 2012.
Thank You.
mimi305 1 / 11  
You don't have to tell them your name or your age , I guess they know it :)

Try to begin with the words your father told you ( this is what I dit in my essay ) I think it's more powerful .

"Don't listen to anything anyone has to say about you. YourYou're not here for them, you're here for yourself , to make us proud ! " my father said as I was crying . My name is Minkaiu Timbo; I'm 21 years old born in Freetown, Sierra Leone raised in different parts of . Due to the civil war that was going on in the Western Countries of Africa , we moved to the United States when I was 8 years old . After moving here to the US I had realized it's a totally different atmosphere. It was a different scary new environement . Starting Elementary school and middle schoolherewaswere one of the roughest times of my life, indeed . I was the new kid at school that had a thick accent and was bullied through out my elementary school and middle schoolall the time . a suggestion :)

While growing up here one thing that the kids didn't bully me about was my fashion sense, but that's not the reason why I'm the perfect candidate for FIT. It's more to it . I'm the prefect candidate for FIT because I'm a very passionate individual that puts his heart, passion, dedication, and hardworking into something I really want. Getting accepted to FIT will change my life. I will be one step closer to my dreams. ( i love that )

I'm interested in transferring to Photography program at FIT because I always had a strong passion for Photography. During My freshmen year was the year I discovered my talent for art in my basic photography class. My teacher had a talk with me after class about applying to Thomas Edison High School of Technology. I was nervous about applying because I knewbecause TEHST wasis a very competitive school and highly acclaimed career and technology education school for talented students in Montgomery Count. Thomas Edison High School of Technology is a highly acclaimed career and technology education school for students with a career talent . I got accepted to TEHST my sophomore year. It was really hard for me to adjust to attending two different schools Montgomery Blair High School and Thomas Edison High School of Technology. While attending TEHST Multi-Media program I learned Adobe Photoshop and started designing and editing pictures as a hobby. After my sophomore year I learned all of the Adobe Creative Suite programs such as InDesign, Illustrator, After Effect, Flash, and Dreamweaver. That's when I realized aI had a true talent for the art media . I fell in love I guess . On my spare time I watched tutorial videos on YouTube to enhance my skills. In addition to my junior year I was a member of the yearbook club. I had got the opportunity to take photographs for the column "What's HOT, What's NOT" I interviewed people and took pictures of all the fashionable students. Then I than had athe chance to create the layout for the yearbook. I was hornedhonored to be apartpart of the yearbook committee.
podkin 1 / 2  
I'm not really good at editing but I spotted some grammatical errors.

...Honor Certificate from Thomas Edison High School of Technology. I thanthen got accepted to the University of the District of Columbia in Spring 2010 (or take out in Spring 2010 entirely) majoring in Graphic Design. While attending UDC I became a freelance Fashion Photographer for different clients and companies in the DMV area. I'm still in the process of completing my Associate in Graphic Design and I'm expecting to graduate in Spring 2012.

After graduating I would like to pursuitpursue my dreams of getting accepted at FIT and becoming a famous fashion photographer.

Good luck!
OP africanking 1 / 1  
thank you so much. i will make the changes...

Home / Undergraduate / 'transferring to Photography program' - you a perfect candidate for FIT?