my transition from childhood to adulthood began when I was 8 - Common App Prompt

kennykenny 1 / -  
I wasn't planning on applying to college because I plan on joining the Army, but I decided to at least have a backup plan. Thank you for any help in advance

Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.

I firmly believe that transition from childhood to adulthood takes a long time, but I realized that the moment I had to become an adult was during my third grade. I had always been spoiled since I was an only child, so when my mom found out she was pregnant our family was very ecstatic. I was thinking, "I am a big girl now and I can do things on my own." I wanted to mature faster to show that I could be independent. I was glad that I would become an older sister because I wanted someone to depend on me have another playmate instead of always playing by myself. At seven months of pregnancy, my mom had a miscarriage. She is the iron lady I look up to, but I never actually realized how fragile she was. The loss of my little brother really devastated my mother, and was treated with severe postpartum depression. On some days, my mother would not even talk or eat, she rarely got out of bed, and often wept. I knew my mother was struggling enough with the depression and I wanted to lessen her problems.

Being only eight years old, I really had no idea what to do. It was really hard to stay emotionally strong when I knew even my parents were struggling to stay strong for my sake. My mother would often wake up an hour early to help me prepare to school, but I decided that I wanted to be the one to prepare my own lunch and my own clothes. My mother often reminded me to do my homework or practice the piano, but I decided that I would do it without having her reminding me. I knew that making my own lunch and doing my homework does not necessarily make me an adult, but it was a start. Learning to take initiative very early in my life has taught me to bring out ideas in my head and carrying it out.
ravenleighann 1 / 9  
I was glad that I would become

try: I was excited to become an older sister because I could then have someone to play with as well as I enjoyed the thought of knowing I would be depended on
Unattractive - / 2  
Writing about how significant growth came through my work experience. Common App Essay question

Hi everyone, I just have a quick question about the common app essay question "Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family". I planning on writing about how significant growth came through my work experience. I was wondering if this was ok or not because my work experience was over a span of about a year, and the essay question states that it should be an accomplshment / event?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance!
duedateguy 2 / 8 1  
Getting a job is sort of rite of passage related so that would be good.
Unattractive - / 2  
My essay focuses more on the me working over a 1 year span of time, not on just getting the job.
Thanks though

Home / Undergraduate / my transition from childhood to adulthood began when I was 8 - Common App Prompt