'be my true unique self' - UC 1, my story as written by man

noctmonster 1 / -  
I need help with my essay, I'm not sure it is the same as people usually write but I like writing as how I see fit.

Any criticism welcome, writing this essay was hard, thinking about all my life pulling out everything needed to explain myself and how I am today.

Do you think it answers the question? I based my essay in that it would interest the reader and want to know what will happen to the character after.

People always tell me that my life story is as if it is a dramatic novel written by man. I begin telling my tale the same way I always do. I grew up with my own perception of "normal", then a time came when I realized I wasn't normal at all, rather I was a bizarre boy apart from the local norm. Without a father figure to guide me through the years, I subconsciously picked up a male inspiration from various sources, always trying to be normal. A time came when I accepted my peculiarity and decided I would live life with what God had provided me. As I fought through hardships and insecurity, I was always told to keep strong and to be my true unique self.

Because I was raised in Mexico and brought up with its culture, soap operas, or telenovelas, are 0a usual pastime in my home. While it may only be true in script, my life closely resembles one of a telenovela. I was born with a single mom in a household of six. My mom had fallen in love with a mature, married doctor fourteen years older than her. After years of having an affair, they decided to have a child without the doctor's unwitting wife consent. With anticipation, my mother moved to the doctor's home city to live a calmer, loving life. Not knowing what would happen, the doctor evaded her and stopped supporting me. Devastated, she unwillingly returned to her former house. As I grew older I identified myself as a character from a telenovela.

Ever since I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I related to Charlie and his family who resided in a small house with six people, including both his grandparents. Living with my maternal grandparents and my aunt's family wasn't easy. Because we didn't share expenses, there would always be fights of whose food was whose. But as a family, we were all responsible to attend to my grandparents. We moved to the United States and rented apartments from time to time, always renting what we could afford. This year, we lost the pillar of our home, my grandfather; shortly after we moved to a smaller home.

Apart from all the conflicts, I grew up with my own burdens to weigh me down. My mother had the idea that because I was conceived from an intelligent, successful doctor, I had inherited the same brilliance and fate. School was naturally hard for me but I always tried my best despite my mom's disappointment. I felt like a failure thinking I could never reach my mom's expectations. One day I stumbled upon Einstein's quote, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." The quote changed my perception of myself and thus I began perfecting myself.

I finally discovered my true unique self, complete with new dreams and aspirations. I strive to become a successful surgeon who serves a purpose in life helping mankind physically and spiritually with the power of God. I learned that even though my life may seem as if it was written by man, I know that God is the true writer of my story, and this is just the beginning of my journey.
collegebound15 4 / 7  
People always tell me that my life story is as if it is a dramatic novel written by man. --> people always tell me that my life story is as dramatic as a novel.

they decided to have a child without the doctor's unwitting wife consent.--> they decided to have a child, without the doctor's wife's consent.

As I grew older I identified myself as a character from a telenovela.---> i would take that line out or move it up a bit beforehand

i would pick either to talk about the telenova or charlie, not both cause then there is no exact focus

Home / Undergraduate / 'be my true unique self' - UC 1, my story as written by man