True Value; Stanford sup/ What Matters to you and why.

risnag1995 1 / 2  
"I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
it doesn't even matter"

It's said that we never realize the true value of something until you lose it. i recently lost my phone which doubled up as a music player which is something that I shall dearly miss.

Right now, I have lost my music and now, i understand it's true value. My music is the most eclectic collection of songs from all genres like rock, metal, pop, hip-hop, grunge, alternative, dub-step, instrumental as well as cartoon theme songs (I can never bring myself to delete those!) I used to listen to music while traveling, walking, cycling, ironing my clothes and (if I wasn't allowed to watch TV) while eating. I have woken up to Metallica, ACDC, Linkin Park, Skrillex, Axel F and bullet for my Valentine for the past 2 years!

But why is music so important to me? When I'm angry or depressed, any song, no matter how slow or how heavy it is, manages to cheer me up. Nothing loosens me up like some major head-banging (and I have been discovered belting out songs in the toilet before dramatics!) Some songs have had a profound impact on me like 'In The End' by Linkin Park (chorus given above) which introduced me to the world of music, Skrillex's 'scary Monsters and Nice sprites' remind me of places I have travelled to (in this case, Venice), songs like 'Numb', 'This Is War', 'Give Me A Sign' and 'Hearts Burst Into Fire' have even brought tears to my eyes.

But I digress. Music is important because it can heal broken hearts, soothe raging nerves and bring a smile to person's face. Artistes and bands have become a new sort of evangelists by spreading messages condemning war and hate and spreading love and peace through their music. Music is a language that anyone can speak and it sends an indirect message of brotherhood. When you are close to giving up, music will spur you on and will rekindle the fire in you. That is the power of music.
c0smic - / 10 1  
This seems far too colloquial. I think you need to talk more about why music is important to you throughout the piece rather than just at the end.
snibberbit 4 / 11 2  
I think your last paragraph was great but the beginning was not so great. I think that if you could expand on what you talked about in the last paragraph you would be better off. Most people talk about great big ideals and values in this essay so I think that music is good because it is different - I wrote about failure and how it leads to success when I applied to Stanford. I think that music stands out and is not a very heavy topic so your reader will probably enjoy it. I just think that you should go deeper. Why music as opposed to anything else? You appreciate it more now that you do not have it, did you appreciate it before? Talking about songs that impact you and your experience with music in your life is good but why those specific songs? You say music is a language anyone can speak and it can rekindle fires in a person but how does that affect you? What does that truly mean to you as a person?

I hope you find this helpful! Great idea!

Home / Undergraduate / True Value; Stanford sup/ What Matters to you and why.